Subject: Requirements Before Proposals?

In the process of working through the 1.2 issues for which I'm a
champion of record, it started to occur to me that we're getting a bit
ahead of ourselves, in that most, if not all the issues as written are
presented as proposals for specific functionality.

But what we really need first are agreed-upon statements of requirement,
from which we can then identify specific features that would satisfy
those requirements and then, from that, specific implementations of
those features.

That is, in an engineering activity, I would not normally accept an
implementation proposal before I had a clear and accepted statement of
the requirements that implementation claims to satisfy.

I would like to propose that we, the champions of each proposal, take
the time to write up a clear, implementation-neutral, statements of
requirement for their issues. For many proposals the proposal itself
will not change but it will be much clearer what the requirement is. But
for some it may make it easier for us, as a group, to evaluate the
requirements on their merits and then more clearly and productively
formulate proposals for satisfying those requirements, where the
existing proposal is either underspecified, non-existent, or controversial.

To take a simple example, my issue 12022, Make @role unenumerated, can
be restated as a requirement like so:

"Authors and specialization designers should be able to specify
arbitrary values for the role= attribute of link elements."

Given an acceptance of that requirement, the implementation solution is
obviously "make @role unenumerated". But there could be other reasons
for making rule unenumerated that have nothing to do with the needs of
authors, so just stating the implementation is not sufficient to
unambiguously indicate the driving requirement.

At a minimum, this will validate that the champions of the different
issues have sufficient understanding of them to clearly state the
requirements implicit or explicit in them.

Note too that there may be more than one feature resulting from a single
requirement, depending on the nature of the requirement and how it
interacts with existing DITA functionality and design principles.

Cheers,

Eliot

--
W. Eliot Kimber