Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal 12046 (data element in figgroup)

Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com> wrote on 19/06/2007 07:29:20 AM:
> <!ELEMENT figgroup (title?, (figgroup | %basic.ph; | %fig.cnt;)* )>
> The problem I see here is that both basic.ph and fig.cnt contain the xref
> and fn elements. I tried this new model with different parsers -- two were
> happy, but one (usually reliable) parser crashed with an "ambiguous content
> model" error.

Cool, I learned something.

> Deborah - do you have a suggestion on which of these three courses to
> pursue?
> 1. If you can show me that the parser is in error, I will open a bug report
> against it - but it seems from the XML spec that this is technically
> forbidden. [1]

It would seem that the parser isn't in error.  Appendix E of the XML spec (while non-normative) supports the "forbidden" ruling more explicitly, using parser-speak.

> 2. We revise the proposal to explicitly list all of basic.ph except <xref>
> and <fn>
> 3. We revise the proposal to forget about adding more phrase-like elements,
> and just add fig.cnt -- making the model
> (figgroup | ph | keyword | fig.cnt)

Is this an option?

4. We revise the proposal to not include fig.cnt, but instead to include phrase, block, data/foreign and unknown elements directly.

<!ENTITY % figgroup.cnt         "%basic.ph; | %basic.block.notbnofg; | %data.elements.incl; | %foreign.unknown.incl;">
<!ELEMENT figgroup      ((%title;)?,
                         (%figgroup; | %figgroup.cnt;)*) >

I believe that this now differs from my original proposal in that it disallows <simpletable>.  If that's a problem, it could always be added directly.

--
Deborah Pickett
Deborah_Pickett@moldflow.com