Subject: Re: [dita] Clarification of <itemgroup>

"Eliot Kimber" <ekimber@innodata-isogen.com> wrote on 21/06/2007 07:52:50 AM:
> 1. Allow everything allowed by <p> in <ph>
> 2. Allow itemgroup w/in <p> (and allow itemgroup to nest)

My gut feeling is that both of these subvert the spirit of phrases and itemgroups.  They may solve your problem but they may just as easily encourage users to abuse the elements to nest inappropriate content.

> 3. Define a new wrapper base type analogous to itemgroup but more generic.

In effect, the moral equivalent of HTML's <div>.  I'm uneasy about the amount of rope that <div> gives users, but I agree that for some specializations it might be a necessary base element.

How do we discourage people from using this <div>-like element to fake nested sections, or paragraphs-within-paragraphs?  Using XML Schema or DTD descriptions of content models, we probably can't.