Subject: Re: [dita] Proposal 12017 - consistency between map & topic metadataand abstract vs shortdesc

Okay, Erik, I think I understand the situation better now. Thanks for the explanation.

So an abstract isn't really an abstract - it's just the first few paragraphs of the topic body, with embedded shortdesc elements to contain search preview.

Similarly shortdesc when used alone isn't really a short description separate from the topic body - it's the first paragraph of the topic body, when that's considered short and summary enough to serve for a search preview.

Given that we're going against convention here with the names - especially abstract - I think perhaps the spec should be a little clearer that both of these are part of the topic body, and not separate from it.

The offending verbiage is as follows:
The abstract element occurs between the topic title and the topic body...
The short description (<shortdesc>) element occurs between the topic title and the topic body...
These locutions seem to imply that abstract and shortdesc don't form a part of the topic body proper - when in fact they do, even if they aren't part of the relevant <body> element. That's where the confusion creeps in.

Maybe we could say something like:
The abstract element contains the first paragraph-level elements of a topic's body text; the remainder appears in the topic's body element...
Something like that would be less confusing I think.

--Dana

Erik Hennum wrote:

Hi, Dana and France:

Maybe the name <abstract> is creating expectations different from what is specified.

From DITA 1.0 onward, the short description provides a summary of the content of a topic. This summary appears at the top of the topic (encouraging inverted pyramid writing) and in linking contexts including search results lists as a preview.

<topic id="libraryGoals">
... <title>The goals of the library</title>
....... core principles are:
....... <ul>
....... <li>Books are for use.</li>
....... <li>Every person his or her book.</li>
....... <li>Every book its reader.</li>
....... <li>Save the time of the reader.</li>
....... <li>The library is a growing organism.</li>
....... </ul>
... </abstract>
... <body>
....... <p>When S. R. Ranganathan first identified these core principles, ...</p>
... </body>
</topic>

In linking contexts, the default description (which a map context can override) for this topic is "A library should support what each reader wants to accomplish."

Regarding map metadata, I wouldn't think that a block like <abstract> would be a good way to express metadata. The <data> element could represent any kind of data including metadata. Also, references to definitions can express metadata (but that's maybe a discussion for the controlled values proposal).

Hoping that clarifies,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com