Subject: Re: [dita] FW: Proposal for a DITA Help subcommittee

Hi Tony and TC,

I would be very interested in joining the work of this committee.

I have written an article recently reviewing the latest proprietary help authoring tools from Adobe, MadCap, AuthorIT, etc.  I speculate on their evolution to XML. The likely path for all vendors suggests that XML for Help should be DITA.
http://www.econtentmag.com/Articles/ArticleReader.aspx?ArticleID=35804

I also have a brief summary of current DITA and Help Authoring options at
http://www.ditanews.com/resources/dita_help/

In a technical demonstration of converting DITA source files to Help, I have created the Eclipse Help-based DITA Infocenter.

DITA Infocenter reuses the DITA Architectural and Language Specifications (1.0 and 1.1) and the DITA source files for the Open Toolkit User Guide, processing and publishing them as Help.
http://ww.ditainfocenter.com.

Finally, just yesterday we have developed lightweight Javascript code to produce simple context-sensitive help (CSH) entry points into the DITA Infocenter. The Javascript code can be preloaded with a search term, then embedded as the CSH link appropriate to a given context.

This also lets us offer a "Search the DITA Infocenter" on our family of DITA support sites. Here the context sensitivity is to retrieve results for the search phrase.  You can find it in the lower right corner of these sites:
http://www.ditausers.org
http://www.ditanews.com
http://www.ditablog.com.

Cheers,