Subject: Re: [dita] Groups - DITA Proposed Feature #12013 Referencing a range ofelements (ConrefRange.html) uploaded

Hi, Yas and Paul:

Thanks for clarifying, Yas -- that addresses my concerns and makes sense to me as the sweet spot.

While it was important to consider an XPointer range, the current proposal seems better to me because:

* It is more consistent with existing conref rather than introducing two methods of referencing.

* It has much of the benefit of singleton conref in that the typing of the placeholders makes it unlikely that editing in the importing context will invalidate the imported content.

I would think people who are used to conref wouldn't see much of a step up in having two conrefs -- one to the start of the range and one to the end of the range. Of course, it becomes much easier if the editor can enforce the constraints you've identified (start and end must be siblings in proper sequence).

Hoping that's useful,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com