Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 14 August 2007

Hi all,

Apologies for sending these out late. We'll accept these and this week's minutes at next week's TC meeting.

Gershon

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 14 August 2007

Chaired by Don Day
Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 14 August 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24883/DITA-TC-Minutes20070731.txt (31 July 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation. [Don moved; Michael Priestley seconded]

    The following minutes are announcements from last week's meeting without quorum:
    http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24920/meetingminutes070807.txt (07 August 2007)

3.  Business:

    1.  NEWS: The formal approval of OASIS DITA 1.1 has been announced!
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00035.html

    2.  ITEM: Proposal for a DITA Help Subcommittee (Tony Self, Stan Doherty)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200707/msg00048.html
        * TC to vote on a Resolution to form this SC

        Don moved to accept the charter for the commissioning of the DITA Help Subcommittee.
        Rob Franklin seconded.

        DECISION to form the DITA Help Subcommittee.

        ACTION: Don to inform Mary to start the ball rolling for the new Subcommittee.

    3.  ITEM: Completed proposals posted this week, for discussion and possible voting

        1.  12013 - Referencing a range of elements (Etessam)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24913/ConrefRange.html (update)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00021.html (Raya comment)

            Paul: Now that I've seen the proposal and understand the issues, I don't believe
            the cost/benefit on this item is there. It's way too much trouble for what we're
            going to get.

            Deferred to next meeting since Yas is not on the call this week.

        2.  12055 - Define Map Referencing Behaviors (Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24910/IssueNumber12055.html

            Paul: There was some off-list discussion on this one. Last I saw there were
            some questions from Jeff that were not answered.

            Deferred to next meeting or when Robert returns from vacation.

        3.  12010 - Domain and topic integration (Hennum)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/14849/Issue32.html

            Deferred, since there are still open issues on this item that are being
            discussed.

            12008 Constraints proposal will be worked on for vote next week. This is a
            prerequisite for 12010.

        4.  12048 - expanded header for reltable (Hennum)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24839/IssueReltableHeader12048.html

            Eric: Last time we discussed this one, JoAnn was in favor, Paul has
            reservations, Jim wanted more time to look at it. Jim has looked at
            it and is OK with it.

            Eliott agrees this feature is much needed. Requested expansion about
            the discussion on distribution of references vertically.

            Eric: In the same way that topics referenced in cell distribute links
            to topics referenced in other cells in the same row, the topicref in
            the column header would distribute links to the body of the table in
            its column.
            Purposes: 1) It's another convenience and 2) It's the fact you can
            set up category or hub topic and all topics in the column will receive
            links to that topic. Examples are in the proposal.

            Don moves to approve the design. Jim Early seconded. No objections.

            DECISION to accept the design of feature 12048.

    4.  Re-visit discussions on Verbatim inclusions of text (Antonov)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200707/msg00036.html
        * customer use case: http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200707/msg00045.html
        * discuss priority, staging

        Michael has concerns that the implementation details are driving the feature
        requirements. The user's requirement is simply bringing simple text files (e.g.
        code file listing) into the document. Michael thinks we should accept the simple
        feature and not get into more complex linking scenarios.

        Paul: Why not use conref? Problem is conref brings in DITA XML.

        Michael: Conref won't bring in text data. It won't currently work as expected.
        We don't have any semantics to tell the system it's a code listing.

        Paul: Why can't we have <codeblock> that goes and brings in the Java code?

        Don: The discussion is on getting non-XML content into your document.

        MP: If the simple requirement is to pull in simple text, then we should
        go and do it.

        Paul: I'm trying to drill down to the right way to do this in DITA. It
        makes sense to have a <codeblock> element and the question now is how do
        I get the content from an external file into the <codeblock>?

        MP: My gut reaction is to put a nested element inside <codeblock> (rather
        than use an attribute). I.e. specialize <xref> as part of the <codeblock>
        specialization.

        Eliot: Why should it be limited to codeblock?

        MP: If we allow it anywhere, it will open a Pandora's box.

        Elliot: We're just bringing in text data -- I'd like to have that available
        everywhere

        Paul: If we're going to get into referencing text in general, then we should
        look at conref.

        MP: Our concern with allowing XInclude means users will use it instead
        of conref and we loose our validation.

        Eliot: It would have to be limited to the text. The text would be treated
        as if it was typed into the element at that location.

        Paul: I'm concerned using <xref> since <xref> does not pull text in, while
        here that's what we want to do.

        Don: We need to concentrate on the syntax, not the formatting.

        Paul and MP suggested and discussed <textref>, to pull in inline text from
        the referenced file.

        EH: I'd like to not limit it to CDATA, but reference a file that has some
        structure, e.g. a file containing comma-separated values or a Wiki page.

        Eliot: That falls under <xref> domain.

        Paul suggested we vote to consider this user requirement for DITA 1.2 and
        then reject this proposal. We'll ask Paul A or MP to come up with a new
        proposal.

        Paul moved to accept the user requirement as a 1.2 feature. MP seconded.

        DECISION to accept this as a feature for inclusion in DITA 1.2.

        Don requested further comment on the list.

--Meeting adjourned at 09:00 PT--

5.  Announcements/Opens

    None.