Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 August 2007

This time with the attachment...

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

----- Original Message ----
From: Gershon L Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>
To: DITA TC List <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:49:29 PM

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 21 August 2007

Chaired by Don Day
Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 21 August 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * not available yet for approval (14 August 2007)

3.  Business:

    1.  Prelim announcement: Second Life for DITA seminar after this meeting.
        Send request for reservation info to "Christian Kravogel"

    2.  ITEM: Review state of open proposals: What to work on today?

        1. 12013 - Referencing a range of elements (Etessam)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24913/ConrefRange.html (update)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00021.html (Raya comment)

            Yas: Proposal on the table is not complete. Questions about the scope
            of the proposal.
            Proposal deals with users referencing range of elements via conref.
            Open issue is how to deal with filtering conditions and expected results.
            Need to agree on what the accepted processing results would be.

            Discussion around the fact that the TC proposals should propose processing
            that makes the most sense for the feature, not around what the Open
            Toolkit (or another tool) does.

            MP asked Yas to set up a side call to discuss the proposal and implications.

            Don asked this is done after Robert comes back.

            Yas suggested to defer till September until everyone returns from vacation.

            ACTION: Jen/Alan to update the feature list about the deferral.

        2. 12055 - Define Map Referencing Behaviors (Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24910/IssueNumber12055.html

            Don asked to defer this to next week (RA still on vacation). No objections.

        3. #12008 - vocabulary and integration constraints (Erik)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25027/IssueConstraints12008.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00063.html (Grosso response)

            EH walked through the proposal to introduce it to the TC.

            JoAnn: Is what you're describing for example I want to constrain programming
            elements in a particular topic set. I want to remove all of programming
            domain.

            EH: You can do that today by omitting it from the doctype shell.

            JH: How would that differ?

            EH: This would allow you to omit some of the programing domain elements,
            or add additional constraints to some programming elements.

            JH: So if I wanted to constrain by removing <b> from <p>?

            EH: You could omit then from all contexts, not only from <p>.

            JH: So it has a global reach.

            EH: It would allow you you to take content model of <title> and restrict
            it (e.g. title that does not allow <ph>).
            The two things this proposal lets you do are:
            1) wherever title appears remove title.
            2) pull in highlight domain but omit bold, allow only italic, and remove ph.
            You can't allow <b> only in <p> but not in title.

            MP: There's another proposal we're waiting on that allows to cross streams
            and allows topics and domains to talk to each other. Until that comes
            along, we can't cross streams. So when you constrain a structural element
            it's globally constrained.

            MP: If you want to constrain <p>, it does not know about <b>, it only
            knows about <ph>. So you'll be able to say you want to remove <ph>,
            but you can't get rid of <b> (you'd have to remove <b> globally from
            <ph> to achieve this).

            Don asked for the TC to review this proposal. Further discussion deferred
            to next week.

        4. #12035 - generic collation element (Pickett)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25030/dita-proposal-collation-newtemplate.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00064.html (Grosso response)

            Don: We need an advocate to speak for Deborah.

            Alan did a few weeks ago, but feels he's not well-versed enough to
            do that today. Alan said he did see some good points mentioned on the
            list.

            Don requested Alan to work with Deborah and review the comments by
            next week and be prepared to summarize where we're at next week.
            Deferred to next week.

        5. #12020 -  element (formerly "Verbatim inclusions of text")
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200707/msg00036.html (original Antonov proposal)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00050.html (latest)

            EK: Initial request had a pattern which I've had to use where you need
            to combine #PCDATA content with attribute constraints in the <data>
            element. Wanted a wrapper element around #PCDATA in order to have <data>
            element constrained around the #PCDATA.

            The point was raised that there are places where #PCDATA is allowed,
            but <ph> is not allowed (so we could not specialize off <ph>). So we
            thought of having <text> that's allowed wherever #PCDATA is allowed.

            This is somewhat related to the referencing issue from last week, so
            let's not relate this to Paul Antanov's proposal.

            This issue stands on its own. Came up on list from Deborah.

            DP added a use case needing to conref text into a context where <ph>
            is not allowed. That's why we proposed <text> that's valid wherever
            #PCDATA is allowed.

            MP: In the past we used <keyword> to work around this issue. Would
            <keyword> fulfill this need?

            EK: It comes down to what's allowable in the #PCDATA context. There
            are several use cases that are not well met with the current DTDs.

            MP suggested forming a side group to discuss this and related requirements
            to formulate a proposal.

            The TC requested Stan Doherty to take up this task as a principle coordinator
            on this discussion.

            ACTION: Alan/Jen to ask Stan to drive doing more work on this proposal
            to get the proposal to closure for voting.

--Meeting adjourned at 09:00 PT--

5.  Announcements/Opens

    None.