Subject: Re: [dita] Re: Updated Strategy for DITA 1.2 Proposal 12020 (Reuseof small text)

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for your reply and explanation. You are correct - xml:tm looks as if it is orthogonal to the proposal, although it well worth mentioning in terms of the overall point of text reuse. Regarding DITA namespace there is a very simple technique to make xml:tm namespace transparent, although in the long run having DITA namespace aware will allow for the use of other useful vocabularies such as Ruby etc.

Best Regards,

AZ

Deborah_Pickett@moldflow.com wrote:
OFA67B3976.E034E0D4-ONCA257352.002C2581-CA257352.002EDBD8@moldflow.com" type="cite">
Hi Andrzej,

(Leaving aside technical issues such as the fact that DITA isn't namespace-aware yet...)

I've reviewed the xml:tm standard specification to which you link, but I fail to see the connection.  The introduction states that xml:tm handles text units, which are at no finer than the sentence level of granularity (which I assume means that a text unit equates to a translation unit when translation is involved).  Some use scenarios for DITA proposal #12020 are for pieces much smaller than sentences: individual words, perhaps phrases.  It doesn't look like xml:tm has containers for such small things (which makes sense given its focus on segmentation and translation units).

But IMO the main point of #12020 is not re-using text, but about expanding the content model of text-containing elements to allow (specializations to achieve) more useful nesting (for instance, by restricting away mixed content).  To me, xml:tm seems to be orthogonal to #12020.

If I've completely missed the point of xml:tm then please let me and the TC list know.

--
Deborah Pickett
Information Architect, Moldflow Corporation, Melbourne

Andrzej Zydron <azydron@xml-intl.com>

10/09/2007 05:22 PM

Stan Doherty <Stanley.Doherty@Sun.COM>
cc
dita@lists.oasis-open.org, pgrosso@ptc.com
Subject
[dita] Re: Updated Strategy for DITA 1.2 Proposal 12020 (Reuse of small text)

Hi,

This whole issue is addressed by the LISA OSCAR xml:tm standard, by use
of the xml:tm namespace. This is a completely comprehensive solution to
this issue (covering all text issues such as translatable attributes,
within text and subflow issues), as opposed to the incomplete
suggestions to date. The xml:tm standard mandates the use of X3C ITS
document rules for establishing the identification and treatment of text
for a given XML vocabulary. We should not be reinventing existing standards:

http://www.lisa.org/standards/xmltm/

Best Regards,

AZ

--
email - azydron@xml-intl.com
smail - c/o Mr. A.Zydron

the individual named.  If you are not the named addressee you may not
disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.  Please notify the sender
delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  If verification
is required please request a hard-copy version. Unless explicitly stated
otherwise this message is provided for informational purposes only and
should not be construed as a solicitation or offer.

--
[...]

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Andrzej Zydro=C5=84
n;quoted-printable:Zydro=C5=84;Andrzej