Subject: Updated #12010: Unify domains and topics

Hi, Esteemed TC:

Per discussion at last week's meeting, I've updated proposal 12010 (Unify domains and topics to improve design flexibility and to simplify the DITA specialization constructs) to add a section detailing the treatment during generalization. That section includes a draft note proposing a change in one of current specified rules for consistency and simplicity.

In response to a review question from Deborah, I've also added clarification on one key issue: a domain extension mandated in a specialized content model must also be provided as a global alternative to its base element unless constrained. That way, the document types are consistent, and processors can recognize when domains used in specialized extensions have independent dependencies.

Here for convenience is the browsable HTML version:

and the authoritative DITA version:

By the way, given that the constraints proposal hasn't had any changes in the last two weeks, I hope we can move to disposition or at least discussion tomorrow:

Thanks,

Erik Hennum
ehennum@us.ibm.com