Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 11 September 2007

We have some proposals coming up for vote next week. Please review these proposals and submit any comments to the list ahead of next week's meeting.

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 11 September 2007

Chaired by Don Day
Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

PENDING VOTES
-------------

The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:

1.  Proposals 12008 and 12010

-------------

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 11 September 2007 at 08:00am PT
for 60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00013.html (4 September 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  ISSUE: Complexity of proposals
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00031.html (Paul Grosso)
        * Note from Don: expect replies in the list (too slow archive response to get links for now)

        Discussion...

        Michael: The point in the process for this decision is when the proposal
        is ready for voting on. The design-approve status means the design has
        been approved by the TC for inclusion in the release.

        Further discussion...

        ACTION: Robert, Michael and Geoff to provide outline of anticipated
        changes to 1.2 architectural spec for discussion at next week's meeting.

        Paul suggested that when we close a topic (and for other major
        decisions), we note in the minutes that discussion is closed and we'll
        vote the next week and then people will know it's coming and can pipe up.
        If no-one pipes up, we can vote on it the next week and there should not
        be any surprise objections when it's brought up for vote.

        DECISION [by acclamation]: The TC formally accepted Paul's suggested
        change to the TC process.

    2.  ITEM: Prepared proposals:

        1.  Revisit #12055 - Define Map Referencing Behaviors (Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24910/IssueNumber12055.html
            * See extensive list discussion

            Continue discussion on the TC email list.
            Revisit next week.

        2.  Items #12008 and #12010 are being discussed together at Erik's request.

            1.  Revisit #12008 - vocabulary and integration constraints (Hennum)
                * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25090/IssueConstraints12008.html (update, Hennum)

                Erik: This proposal has been stable for the past 2 weeks.

            2.  New: #12010 - unify topics and domains (Hennum)
                * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/25248/IssueDomainTopic12010.html

                Erik: This week I added a section about what happens during
                generalization when the source or target text is unknown. I also
                added some text in response to an email from DP.

            Erik: I'm interested in any specifics that need clarification in
            either proposal.

            Erik: Each proposal includes details of the DTD and Schema changes.
            I encourage people to take a look at them.

            DECISION [by acclamation]: to stage items 12008 and 12010 for vote
            next week.

            ACTION: TC requested Gershon to add a "pending votes" section to top
            of the minutes and on Wiki home page above the agenda.

--Meeting adjourned at 09:00 PT--

        3.  Revisit #12035 - generic collation element (Pickett)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00080.html (update, Pickett)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200708/msg00108.html (Eliot's rollup of discussions)
            * No recent discussion--ready to approve design?

        4.  Status on #12020 - Allow easy reuse of small pieces of text
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00015.html (Updated strategy, Stan)
            * Have a discussion to make certain we understand the needs and approach

5.  Announcements/Opens