Subject: RE: [dita] Specialization support: a core philosophical issue

Eliot,

Have you taken a look at the DITA 1.2 TOC outline (http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_1.2_TOC)?  If not, you should.  That was done without much consideration of approvals and the like, but it does propose a start on breaking up the DITA specification into core specifications and a set of specialization specifications.

We’ve had multiple specifications in the Architecture and Language spec since 1.0, so multiple specifications in and of themselves shouldn’t be a problem.

I think that TC subcommittees should be able to develop separate specifications, but also think that those specifications need to be approved by the larger TC and then by the OASIS membership before they become official.  Hopefully there is enough interaction or membership overlap between the subcommittees and the TC so that there isn't much risk that a large amount of work will be put in to the development of a sub-committee spec. that the TC won't approve.  Approval of a subcommittee spec by the TC would include that spec in with whatever other specs the TC eventually sends out for approval by the OASIS membership. It is that family of specifications once they are approved by the OASIWS membership that becomes the DITA 1.2 (or whatever) standard.

Or at least that is my thinking.  Just remember that I am an unofficial newcomer to the DITA TC and so may not know what I am talking about.

    -Jeff