OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 9 October 2007

Hi everyone,

We have the following proposal coming up for voting next meeting:

#12020 - Allow easy reuse of small pieces of text (Doherty)

Please review it thoroughly in advance of the meeting so we can vote it through. Any comments/concerns etc. should be raised on the email list ASAP ahead of next week's meeting.
Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd. 
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee
+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 9 October 2007

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>


The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:

1.  #12020 - Allow easy reuse of small pieces of text (Doherty)


The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 9 October 2007 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting: 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00018.html (2 October 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Proposals for vote:
        1.  Revisit #12055 - Define Map Referencing Behaviors (Anderson)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/24910/IssueNumber12055.html

            Accepted by acclamation.

    2.  ITEM: Review prepared proposals:

        1.  Update on #12020 - Allow easy reuse of small pieces of text (Doherty)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00020.html

            SD summarized (was not at computer, so could not give specific
            details): Add <ph> to 5 elements and add <text> to 4 elements.

            MP: We'll hope folks look this over to ensure none of these changes 
            will cause problems with specializations.

            ACTION: RA to check to ensure none of these changes will negatively
            affect specialization.

            DECISION by acclamation: Put #12020 up for vote next meeting. TC
            members to perform final review before then. Any comments should
            be sent to the list ASAP for discussion and resolution before the
            next TC meeting.

        2.  Status on #12021 - nested sections (MP action to Jim Earley)

            JE: I'm still working on it. We'll need to talk to MP about this. 
            Hope to have the proposal ready for review next week.

    3.  ITEM: Reviewing TOC for 1.2 documentation
        * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_1.2_TOC
        * Suggestion for 3 discussions:
            1. What does it mean to be a conforming application?
            2. General review of the core structure of the TOC
            3. Scope discussion (needs to happen by end of November). 
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00004.html (suggestions-Ogden)

            Jeff's note adds:
            How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to 
            behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

            Work on items 2, 3 and 4 from Jeff's note:

            2) Is the scope of DITA 1.2 as it is shaping up too large? Is the 
            DITA specification becoming too complex?

                The TC feels that now is not yet the right time to discuss this.
                Jeff/Robert will send a note to the list raising this issue when 
                the time is right.

            3) What does it mean when we say that an implementation supports the 
            DITA standard? Is the entire standard required or are some parts 

                MP: The DITA standard consists of 3 parts:
                * The core standard
                * The standardized specializations (lower level of support 
                * Specializations that are not part of the standard. Such user 
                  specializations are outside the scope of the standard.

                Don: Specializations come from 2 sources: the TC and the 
                Subcommittees. Are there any differences in procedure for these 
                2 cases?

                JO: I guess not; they are supposed to follow the same rules.

            4) How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to 
            behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

                JO: We had good discussions. MP has a more liberal approach, 
                whereas I feel we should not permit as much flexibility.

                MP: I'm drawing the line between syntax and behavior. Syntax
                must be preserved. Everything beyond there is pretty contextual.

                JE: There are edge cases where we've had to deviate from the 
                standard in order to achieve the specialization we needed. 
                Though these are minor deviations that could be easily 
                transformed back into standard DITA.


                MP: If someone wants to override the stated default behavior 
                (for some good reason), I don't think we should call that going 
                against the DITA spec.


                Don requested we move this discussion to the email list.

                Yet further discussion...

                Don asked us to take items 3 and 4 off into 2 discussions next
                week. In the meantime, continue discussions on-list.

--Out of time. Meeting adjourned.--

    4.  ITEM: MUST, SHOULD, MAY rollup?
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00013.html (Priestley) 

    5.  New ITEM: URI Scheme for TC Subcommittees (Sirois)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00000.html 

    6.  New ITEM: Discerning mandates from "expected default behavior" in the Specs
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200709/msg00070.html (Ogden)
        * "And separately we want to bring the issue of exceptions for specializations 
            or really what parts of the DITA Standard are mandates and what 
            parts are descriptions of the expected default behavior up for 
            discussion by the DITA TC as a whole."

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]