OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 27 November 2007

Apologies for my delay in getting this week's minutes out. End of month madness hit as usual.
Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd. 
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee
+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 27 November 2007

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>


The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:



The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 27 November 2007 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting: 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00043.html (20 Nov 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Proposals for Design Approval vote:

        1.  #12026 - Enhance the Glossary specialization (Warburton, Hennum, et al.)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26130/IssueGlossary12026.html
              * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00028.html (related update)

                DECISION: The TC accepted proposal 12026 by acclamation.

    2.  ITEM: Review prepared proposals:

        1.  Check status of ITEM: #12007 - Indirect reference/keyref proposal (Ogden et al.)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00053.html

            Jeff: We have another call for this Thursday. Issues with scope and 
            order (or lack thereof) of the key definitions. I hope we'll figure 
            this out on the next call.

            Revisit next week.

        2.  ITEM: #12011 - Generic Task Type (Houser)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00005.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00046.html (Houser update)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00044.html (Houser follow up)

            Alan: I sent a message to the list about an hour ago that wraps up 
            the discussions between the interested people. The message proposed 
            content models that could be restricted to match the current content 
            models. I listed each one with the use cases it solves or 
            requirements it meets. We need the reaction of other TC members to 
            the email.

            Alan walked the TC through the message.

            Eliot asked why <cmd> is optional.
            Alan: Some people have requested <step> without <cmd>.
            Michael: Since we don't have PCDATA, you can't remove <cmd> or <step>
            won't need to contain content.
            Alan: The way we address the less semantically rich content model is 
            by adding <ol> and <ul> (later option in message)

            The TC questioned the need for <itemgroup> and felt that <info> 
            should be useful for specializing.
            Alan will take <itemgroup> back to DP for further discussion offline.

            Gershon questioned the need for <discussion>. The TC discussed 
            possible use cases for it.
            Gershon felt we have <context> and therefore no need for <discussion>. 
            Michael suggested it would be a lead-in to the steps (and admitted 
            this is an old style issue)). IBM had a request for a "step-intro".
            It was mentioned that this would be useful when converting legacy 

            Discussion on whether we should allow multiple <steps> in a task.

            Discussion on the need to break a set of steps out (e.g. summarize 
            what you did in a tutorial) and marking this up with the current 
            content model.

            Michael: It's worth noting that we're having this discussion because
            the current task is too prescriptive, unlike the other base topic 
            types DITA provides. I see the point of having a loose basis from 
            which other users can specialize, but opening up the general task 
            model is an issue.

            Eliot: There's a missing layer of general content models that 
            underline the base content models. It's not practical to consider 
            the current base types to be used for authoring directly, even 
            though users do use it.

            Don asked to take this discussion back to the list. Don also 
            suggested creating a special interest group.

            People who want to be on the call should send Alan an email listing 
            their available times.

            ACTION: Alan to take this offline to a working group.

        3.  # ITEM #12047 - add convenience elements for composing maps that set attribute defaults (Hennum, Kimber, et al.)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26129/IssueMapConveniences12047.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00028.html (related update)

            Eric is not on the call, so move to next week.
        4.  # Updated ITEM #12035 - Generic collation element (Pickett)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00026.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00044.html (Pickett response to TC)

            The TC discussed whether to accept Deborah Pickett's suggestion to 
            put this item off for 1.2.

            Eliot questioned how users needing localization would survive in the 

            Gershon and Don mentioned DP's response that says users can specialize 
            to create the content model defined by proposal #12035.

            Gershon suggested talking to DP since he's closer time-wise. Don 
            accepted the idea and requested Gershon asks the list for others who 
            may wish to participate.

            ACTION: Gershon to contact DP to arrange an off-line phone meeting
            and to notify others who may be interested in this proposal.

    3.  # ITEM: Discussion on Controlled values, #collection-type enumerations and glossaries
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00024.html (Pickett)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00029.html (Hennum reply)
        * any latest vendor input, per last week's request?

        ACTION: Gershon to remind Eric to send email to list requesting vendor 

    4.  New proposals from the Machine Industry SC:

        1.  # New ITEM: #12024 - Hazard Statement Domain
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26163/IssueNumber12024.html
        2.  New ITEM: #12039 - Note
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26164/IssueNumber12039.html 

            Chris: This proposal is part of proposal #12011. It's a separate 
            proposal here only because the Machine Industry SC worked on it 
            separately. #12011 covers this. This item could be of interest to 
            all, but 12024 is specific to the MI. I'd rather keep this a separate 
            proposal to limit the  scope of discussions on the proposals.

            This proposal is covered in #12011.

        3.  New ITEM: #12040 - Machine Industry Task type
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26165/IssueNumber12040.html

            Chris: This proposal is for domain specialization to align task 
            with S1000D, mainly in prereq parts. We could merge this with the 
            generic task-type proposal. Though this is a large proposal by itself.

            The TC members were asked to review #12024 and #12040 and submit 
            comments to the list.

--Out of time. Meeting adjourned.--

    5.  Ongoing: Review of "Items for discussion" list in the Frontpage
        * How much flexibility for specializers?

4.  Announcements/Opens

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]