Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 4 December 2007

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
http://www.tech-tav.com

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 4 December 2007

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

PENDING VOTES
-------------

The following items will be voted upon at the next TC meeting:

None.

-------------

Global action items for Don:

* ACTION: Don to notify item owners that they have a week to close their
  proposals.

* ACTION: Don to ask Eliot to submit this by next Monday.

* ACTION: Don to ask Eliot to submit proposal for 12043 by Monday; if not,
  solicit input from the list on where <draft-comment> wanted and we'll update
  the DTDs accordingly.

* ACTION: Don to notify the TC of 2-hour meeting next week.

* Put the following items on next week's agenda:
  * OASIS requirement to have at least 2 implementations of all parts of the
    proposal (as per MP's email)

  * Current 1.2 schedule is way off -- need to revisit (per end of this week's
    meeting; raised by Jeff)

  [Gershon to Don: I think we should leave these two items off our agenda until
  after next week's meeting; otherwise we won't get to the proposals again!]

-------------

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 4 December 2007 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00052.html (27 Nov 2007)

    Accepted by acclamation.

2a  The chair requested we do a quick assessment of the open proposals to decide
    whether to keep them in the 1.1 scope or not.

    #12007 - Indirect reference/keyref proposal
        Jeff: We're making progress. Michael was going to send out an email
        to the list. One remaining issue. Hopefully a week away from a draft for
        TC review. The TC agreed to keep this item in the 1.2 scope.

    #12011 - Generic Task Type
        Alan is not on the call.
        The chair is willing to give this item another week to try to home in on
        a content model and proposal.

    #12047 - add convenience elements for composing maps that set attribute defaults
        Erik: Up for discussion today so it's in scope.

    12014 - Conref and conditional processing - preserve without resolving
        Michael submitted it today. This is the original proposal with added use
        cases.

    12015 - Conref push instead of pull
        Michael to add some additional use cases. one to cover dynamic publishing.

    12031 - Controlled values / taxonomies
        Erik: There is a design proposal. Dependent on keyref proposal; until
        keyref passes we can't move this one forward. As currently specified,
        it's limited to selection attributes. Should also support specialized
        data elements. So it's really pending the key proposal.

        ACTION: Erik to revise it to add data elements.

    12035 - Generic collation element
        Gershon: I have an Action Item [from last week] to contact DP. Expect to
        talk to her this week. The idea is to drop this item off 1.1 provided we
        can suggest an acceptable workaround for those users who need it.

        Michael clarified: We asked the collate element be available only on
        topic, not everywhere. Deborah wanted it everywhere and use constraints
        to take it out. She's technically right, but I'm nervous about the
        impact. If the collate element is implemented as a domain, we're not
        creating a default structure that would be used directly the way topic
        is used directly.
        If collate-as is implemented as a specialization of
        <data>, then when we add that domain to the various topic and map type
        DTDs, we can include the domain selectively.

        Erik: One question is whether the constraint would be created as part of
        the standard set of DITA doctypes and be included in the standard map so
        that by default users will only be able to use collation on topics.

        Michael confirmed that this is OK.

        Further discussion...

        TC consensus to stay with last week's decision to leave this item for
        1.3 with a documented workaround as an interim solution.

    12022 - Make @role (and other enumerated attributes) unenumerated
        Waiting on Eliot to come back with the list of elements that have
        enumerations.

        Don asked if we can get the list by Monday, could we discuss it next
        week?

        Michael: We may find some elements where we decide we need the
        enumeration and removing them would remove usability; then vendors
        (editors) must implement enumerations so users don't suffer while the
        vendors catch up.

        Don asked the TC if we believe we can scope it for 1.2?

        JoAnn felt this is a very important feature.

        Michael asked if anyone else is willing to put together the list.

        If there's no proposal submitted by next Monday we'll drop this item
        from 1.2 scope.

        JoAnn asked if we know how many enumerations there are.

    12043 - Allow draft-comment in more places
        JoAnn really wants this.

        Michael: We need Eliot to do it. If he can't, we can at least add it
        where we know users need it.

        Discussion on the fact that we can't add it everywhere, since by default
        it gets styled wherever it's used.

        ACTION: Don to ask Eliot to submit by Monday or if not, we'll solicit
        input from the list on where it's wanted and we'll update the DTDs
        accordingly.

    12050a - Issues related to longdescref, scope, etc
        Michael committed to submitting by next week.

    12060 - Verbatim inclusion of text
        Michael committed to submitting by next week.

    12038 - Acronym proposal
        Gershon to complete the proposal.
        The TC agreed that if it's submitted by next Monday we'll discuss next
        week.

    Michael suggested having a 2-hour meeting next week. Don agreed we should
    try to do that.

    ACTION: Don to notify the TC of 2-hour meeting next week.

    Discussion on the OASIS requirement to have at least 2 implementations of
    all parts of the proposal (as per MP's email)

    MP: We talked previously in context of SC submissions that we'd expect there
    needs to be a separate implementation certification and criteria; that is
    whether it's a separate specialization package. Once we're done splitting up
    the spec into modules we'll need a separate certification for each module.
    If we get into a situation where some modules are not certified, we'd have
    to decide whether to ship the spec that's certified and keep the other
    modules in draft status until 1.3.

    Don was asked to determine at what point the implementations are required.
    Suggestion is that implementations in place is a litmus test for us to use
    them for specialization packages.

    Don: It's in the 3rd step, item b. It's at the very end of the process, when
    it's submitted after the public vote.

    MP: We as a TC should want to get those certifications before we submit for
    public vote.

    Out of time. Resume this discussion at start of next meeting.

    Jeff: I think the original schedule has become optimistic and we need to
    revisit.
    Don said we should do that next meeting.

--Out of time. Meeting adjourned.--

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Proposals for Design Approval vote:

        1.  None

    2.  ITEM: Review prepared proposals:

        1.  Check status of ITEM: #12007 - Indirect reference/keyref proposal (Ogden et al.)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200710/msg00053.html

        2.  ITEM: #12011 - Generic Task Type (Houser)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00005.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00046.html (Houser follow up)

        3.  # ITEM #12047 - add convenience elements for composing maps that set attribute defaults (Hennum, Kimber, et al.)
            * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26129/IssueMapConveniences12047.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00028.html (related update)

        4.  # Updated ITEM #12035 - Generic collation element (Pickett)
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00026.html
            * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00044.html (Pickett response to TC)

    3.  # ITEM: Discussion on Controlled values, #collection-type enumerations and glossaries
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00024.html (Pickett)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200711/msg00029.html (Hennum reply)
        * any latest vendor input, per last week's request?

    4.  ITEM: #12024 - Hazard Statement Domain
        * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26163/IssueNumber12024.html

    5.  New ITEM: #12040 - Machine Industry Task type
        * http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26165/IssueNumber12040.html

    6.  New ITEM: #12014 - Delayed conref resolution (Priestley)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00003.html

    8.  New ITEM: #12015 - Conref Push (Priestley)
        * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200712/msg00005.html

    5.  Ongoing: Review of "Items for discussion" list in the Frontpage
        * How much flexibility for specializers?

4.  Announcements/Opens