Subject: RE: [dita] How much flexibility do specializers have to make exceptions to behaviors that are outlined in the DITA standard?

During today’s DITA TC call we agreed:

1)       To continue the discussion about “how much flexibility do specializers have” or “what is required and what is optional”.

2)       But to put the general discussion of this issue on hold for now.

3)       And proceed to deal with this in a more specific case by case fashion as the DITA 1.2 specification drafts are produced.

4)       And to move forward on the other three items that were waiting on the list behind this issue.

The other three discussion items that have been waiting behind the “how much flexibility” item for some time are:

  1. What does it mean when we say that an implementation supports the DITA standard? Is the entire standard required or are some parts optional?

·         The specification editors will draft a conformance statement for the DITA 1.2 Architectural Specification. Eliot will help. The TC as a whole can comment on the draft and needs to approve all of the DITA 1.2 specs at some point. Alan’s recent note spoke to this issue as well.  His note is included below.

  1. Is the scope of DITA 1.2 as it is shaping up too large? Is the DITA specification becoming too complex?
    • The first question is probably something of a moot point now that we are almost done with the DITA 1.2 approval process. I think the TC needs to have a discussion of the schedule for the rest of the DITA 1.2 work. There is enough fairly complicated stuff in DITA 1.2 that it will take sometime to get this all documented and implemented in the OASIS DITA DTDs and schemas and possibly even longer to get vendor implementations including implementations in the DITA Open Toolkit, so that we can get the required two certified users for each component.
    • The second question is one that we should probably talk more about during a TC call. In the same note Alan raised some questions related to partial vendor implementations and “cherry-picking” that may be related to the size and complexity of the DITA releases. Alan’s note is included below.
  2. Is the approach outlined in the proposed DITA 1.2 documentation TOC a good approach?
    • See: http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_1.2_TOC
    • The DITA 1.2 Specifications will be broken up into several collections based on families of specializations rather than having just the two all inclusive Architecture and Language Reference specs.
    • This is the approach that is being taken now for DITA 1.2.
    • Comments and suggestions on this approach are welcome anytime.  Send comments to the DITA TC list or to Michael.
    • The DITA TC will formally review and approve the specification at some point, but I can imagine that the specification editors will be grumpy if suggestions for a very different organization are made that late after the work has already been done.  So it would be best to get any general comments on this approach to organizing the DITA specifications in early.

Of course we can and probably should have much of the discussion of these items on the DITA TC list between TC calls.  Who wants to go first?

And out of all of this I think there are at least two items for next week’s TC agenda:

1)       Discussion of the schedule for the rest of the DITA 1.2 work.

2)       Discussion of DITA size and complexity, partial implementations, and “cherry-picking”.

   -Jeff