OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 5 February 2008

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.
Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee
+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)
DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 5 February 2008

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gershon@tech-tav.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 5 February 2008 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

1.  Roll call

    We have quorum.

2.  Approve minutes from previous business meeting:
    * date : 29 January 2008
    * URL  : http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200801/msg00041.html

    Accepted by acclamation.

3.  Business:

    1.  ITEM: Proposals for Design Approval vote:

        1.  ITEM: #12038 - Acronym proposal updates
            url  : http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/26990/IssueGlossary12026.html
            notes : with indicated changes from last week
            Approved by Translation Subcommittee (4 Feb 2008); spec
            should not say that this is for terminology management, and
            the Translation Subcommittee plans to develop best practice
            documents for glossary usage

            Gershon noted that there will also be a best practice document for
            acronym usage.

            DECISION: The TC accepted proposal #12038 as design approved by

    2.  ITEM: NBSP entity in topic.mod DTD
        url  : http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200802/msg00001.html
        lead : Robert Anderson

        Don confirmed this is semantic noise from pasting HTML content into DITA
        topics. It's therefore not a required element.

        Robert suggested it's not required and therefore should be removed from
        the spec.

        Robert: People have questioned it in the past so it may be hard to
        remove. The question is whether to make some kind of statement about it
        and remove it in the future and whether we want a separate version of
        the DTDs without it.
        Eliot: Why don't we move it to the shell?

        Robert: It may still cause problems. If we move it into the shell it's 
        going to invalidate any specializations that don't use the OASIS DTDs.

        Robert: Need to remove the comment that's there in the DTDs.

        Eliot: We can just state that its usage is deprecated.

        DECISION by acclamation: In DITA 1.2 note that NBSP entity is deprecated 
        and remove it in 2.0.

    3.  ITEM: Test Environment for SC business
        url  : http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200802/msg00003.html
        lead : Seth Park

        Seth: A number of people on the subcommittee don't have a stable DITA-OT
        but we'd like them to run their company data through the DTDs to 
        validate them. We can't currently do that.
        The idea is to run data through without having a DITA-OT installation 
        and without being a strong DITA user.
        Extensive discussion...
        Don requested the TC members take a look at Seth's proposal and discuss
        it further on the list.

    4.  ITEM: Organization of the DITA Specification
        2 users vs 2 implementations?

        Jeff: Several questions:
        1) What do we need to get approved?
        2) What are the parts we assemble to make up the whole thing and can 
        they be approved separately?
        3) What do people have to do to endorse them?

        But there are not really lots of implementations out there, so that
        pushes me back to the 2 users option.

        Eliot: Only the OT implementation is there. No-one is going to 
        reimplement the OT. So it makes more sense to say there are 2 
        organizations using the new kit.

        Don: The OT also implements specializations. The question is whether 
        behaviors need to be overridden for a particular specialization.

        The TC reached agreement that we should have 2 users for each of:
        * core DITA spec (like 1.1)
        * add to that SC specializations that will ship for the first time with
        with 1.2

        Jeff then suggested 2 categories per category: editing and processing;
        need 2 users for each one.
        Eliot: I'd like to see 2 implementations of keyref. I wouldn't feel the 
        need to see 2 processes that render learning and training content.
        Many TC members expressed concern about making this too fine-grained and
        then it will be difficult to control and handle.
        Jeff: We need to make a list of what we think we need to have endorsed 
        for each category.
        Michael: Would that be any different from the list of packages and 
        modules we discussed?
        Jeff: That would be the starting point.
        Michael: There are specializations that are part of the core that are 
        not coming out of SCs. On the core front, we need to ask endorsement on 
        usage of specific new features in the new DTDs.
        2 separate usage endorsements for each package.
        Also 2 usage endorsements on new features in the core spec.
        Jeff: We should go through and list what those new features are.
        JoAnn: What makes for a usage endorsement? What must we have done?
        ACTION: Don to check what exactly is required by an organization
        endorsing the use of a new spec.
        ACTION: Gershon to add this statement to the DITA 1.2 draft editorial 
        notes and procedural decisions (rename the page and create section for 
        the procedural decisions)

    5.  Ongoing: Review of "Items for discussion" list in the Frontpage
        * Review where we are at; what topics need more work.
        Don asked Jeff and others to capture the discussion.
        Jeff: Eliot put something out a few weeks ago. He asked some questions 
        at the end of his note. Can I just respond to that?
        Don: Yes, and I'll add that message link to the agenda next week.

    6.  Translation SC conref best practice

        The TC is reminded to review the BP for discussion next week and vote in 
        2 weeks time
        ACTION Gershon to send Don the URL to the latest BP document.

4.  Announcements/Opens

    1.  OASIS membership level of DITA TC members
        Don asked non-voting members to consider becoming voting members, since
        we've had some attrition in voting membership lately and he also feels 
        the active TC members should also be voting members.

--Out of time. Meeting adjourned.--

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]