Subject: Re: [dita] Need Clarification on Implications of Different List MarkupPatterns

Gershon L Joseph wrote:

> I still feel that the DITA spec should provide a loose set of DTDs
> for users to specialize from, but that it should also provide a tight
> set of DTDs that authors can use out of the box. IMO the current base
> topic DTDs are too loose to be useful. The sad fact is we see tons of
> users applying bad markup -- effectively marking up their DITA XML
> content the way they applied styles in Word or FrameMaker.

I am certainly sympathetic to this complaint but it doesn't address my
fundamental problem, which is that if you *do* use the base topic type
out of the box you can have the cases to which I alluded and there needs
to be clear and consistent definition of what the expected procesing
behavior is.

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770
www.reallysi.com