Subject: Should Nested Topicrefs Be Allowed for format="ditamap"?

I'm implementing my own chunk to-content processing and as a side effect
of that implementing map-to-map refs. It occurred to me that having
something like this:

<topicref href="submap-01.ditamap" format="ditamap">
   <topicref href="foo.dita"/>
</topicref>

Doesn't make a lot of sense since it's somewhat ambiguous where the
subordinate topicref would effectively be relative to the contents of
the target ditamap.

I think this case should be disallowed but I haven't thought about it
that deeply.

This use of topicref has always seemed a little iffy to me. I would be
happier with a new construct that was explicitly a map-to-map reference
but I realize it's probably too late to make that design change for 1.2,
if it would be appropriate to make it at all.

But I think we should clarify the constraints in this case: either
disallow the case above or state clearly what the effective result is.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770