Subject: Re: [dita] appropriateness of <dita> root element

Re:
>For meeting notes, white papers, and a host of other things ditabase may be the best practice,
>but those users and use cases are not (correct me if I'm wrong) the primary target of the DITA TC.

The fact that we have an Enterprise Business Document subcommittee suggests you're at least partly wrong. I think the primary target of the DITA TC is modular content, which certainly includes many tech pubs, but extends beyond it.

When we drafted the charter, we were actually quite general on purpose, and deliberately avoided tying DITA to just tech pubs in anticipation of its broader use:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/dita/charter.php

That said, I'm also not advocating ditabase per se as a best practice - but having multiple topics in a single document (at least at some stages of the content lifecycle) I think can be a best practice, for specific scenarios and applications.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Gershon L Joseph \[Yahoo\]" <gljoseph@yahoo.com>

03/26/2008 09:18 AM

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>, dita@lists.oasis-open.org
cc
Subject
Re: [dita] appropriateness of <dita> root element

I agree with Jeff. There will always be people who do weird and wonderful things with DITA, and when what they do is correct for their use cases, I'm not going to tell them they're doing the wrong thing. Nor should the TC.

The problem is that the vast majority of new users are misusing DITA to a point that they are often worse off than they were in Word or FrameMaker. Most companies choose not to hire an expert to help them migrate to DITA, and they get what they pay for. I'd like us as a TC (and moving forward via the Adoption SC) to put tutorials, white papers, etc. in place to educate new users to help them to do the right thing from the beginning.

We need to remain focused. Who is our primary target user group? What are their use cases? AFAIK the answers are tech pubs groups documenting technical documentation of hardware and software systems. For this user group and set of use cases, ditabase is not a best practice (beyond perhaps a quick and dirty migration path).

For meeting notes, white papers, and a host of other things ditabase may be the best practice, but those users and use cases are not (correct me if I'm wrong) the primary target of the DITA TC.

I think we'd do a service to the user community by removing those parts that are not in sync with best practices for our primary target audience, and put those parts up somewhere for download for use by those user groups who have a good reason to use them. I'm not convinced we should continue to bundle everything with the base DITA release.

At the same time, we must develop tutorials, white papers, and other guides that cover as many use cases and user groups as we're aware of and address their needs, suggesting best practices and, where relevant, providing unofficial packages of DTDs and supporting code (e.g. DITA-OT plugins).

Gershon

Gershon L Joseph
Director of Technology and Single Sourcing
Tech-Tav Documentation Ltd.

Secretary, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Secretary, OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee
Member, OASIS DocBook Technical Committee

+972-8-974-1569 (direct)
+972-57-314-1170 (mobile)

http://www.tech-tav.com