Subject: RE: [dita] DITA 1.2 packages -- documentation

For DITA 1.1 the DITA source plus PDF and chunked HTML (Web) outputs were available. Unchunked HTML and HTML Help were not.

There was also a short overview document that I didn’t mention in the note I sent out earlier, but which I assume will be available again. For DITA 1.2 the Overview document may be more important since it is one place where all of the documents and packages can be listed and described.

I think Don said that OASIS wants PDF versions.

So for DITA 1.2 I think the minimum we’ll want to make available is the same as was available for DITA 1.1 (source, PDF, chunked HTML).  I see no harm in adding unchunked HTML and HTML Help, but I don’t feel strongly about it.  I’d been thinking that each package would contain all of its own documentation and that the combined package would contain everything.  I hadn’t been thinking about a separate documentation package, but that could probably be done too.

We are splitting things up into separate packages in an attempt to make things simpler for individuals who aren’t interested in all aspects of DITA.  As I was working on the outline of the packages and we got up to six individual packages plus a combined package and now with the possibility of an eighth documentation package, I’m starting to worry that the packages themselves may make things more complicated then we want.  Something to talk about on Tuesday.

   -Jeff

From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2008 10:36 AM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Whenever a document (e.g., Language or Architecture Specification, Reference, Guidelines and Examples) is to be included in a Package, exactly what are we talking about including?

DITA source, HTML File, chunked HTML (e.g., HTML Help), PDF, etc.?

Our should we have a separate "Documentation Package" that contains all of the above so that we don't have to put it in each separate package?

I would personally want the source and perhaps some kind of HTML output at least, but I'm not sure what would be the optimal solution in terms of packaging.

paul