Subject: RE: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations

Michael’s second point is exactly the one I was trying to make on the call today. I have had clients with house styles that require such mixed content. I want DITA to be able to be used by the widest possible community. To that end, Michaels’ advantage and disadvantage approach lets the user decide the course of action most desireable for there situation.

Rob

Rob Frankland

Sock Monkey Consulting, LLC

12408 Kallgren RD NE

Bainbridge Island, WA 98110

From: Michael Priestley [mailto:mpriestl@ca.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 9:52 AM
To: Gershon L Joseph [Yahoo]
Cc: DITA TC List; Robert D Anderson

In what sense is that list "inline"? It defines the start of a new block. It does so within the context of an existing block. You can also nest lists inside other lists, or inside table cells.

And to reiterate, I am against any best practice that says users "should" avoid mixed content models. I am ok, per Jeff's suggestion, with a best practice that lays out the advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Gershon L Joseph \[Yahoo\]" <gljoseph@yahoo.com>

04/08/2008 11:51 AM

Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com>, DITA TC List <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

cc

Subject

Re: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations

This time hopefully without the Yahoo junk...

I'm still against using the same element in both block and inline contexts. If DITA provided an <inline-ul> (or whatever) for use in the example Paul gave I'd be OK with it. I still feel that block elements should be used only in block contexts, and inline elements in inline contexts. Paul's example would then be marked up as follows:

meet the following requirements:
<inline-ul>
 <li>Pentium 4 CPU or later</li>
 <li>1 GB RAM or more</li>
 <li>At least 350 MB free disk space</li>
</inline-ul>
unless you are running the Limited version of the product.

Obviously we're not going to change the DTDs for 1.2, but perhaps we could consider an inline unordered list element for a future release, when we can improve on the current situation where <ul> functions as both block and inline.

For 1.2, maybe we should provide Paul's example as an exception to the general rule, and maybe even state that a future DITA release may provide a different inline element for this purpose?

Note also I said the spec should encourage the best practice via "should", so users using mixed markup are not going against the spec.

Gershon