Subject: RE: [dita] Question about DITA 1.2 item 12021

I guess I don't understand the problem here.  If conbody already allows for sections (along with a laundry list of other elements), why create a restrictive model?

Jim Earley

-----Original Message-----
From: Eliot Kimber [mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 10:36 AM
To: Robert D Anderson
Cc: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Robert D Anderson wrote:
>> I would certainly expect bodydiv to be available anywhere within
>> body, not just where section is allowed, since it is not necessarily
>> structural in the sense that section is, but may be used to simply
>> group things for some purpose specific to a given author or specialization.
>
> The tricky part is that bodydiv allows section. So, allowing it at any
> location in conbody adds the ability to place sections before other
> random
> content:
> <conbody>
>   ...other block content...
>   <section>2nd</section>
> </conbody>
>
> That may be a necessary evil, if in fact it is an evil, but it does
> loosen up the concept model in a way that has not been specifically
> addressed. So, I felt it needed to be called out. Any other opinions on this one?

Hmm, I didn't think about that. There certainly needs to be a way to group sections but also a way to group things that are not sections without necessarily allowing sections as a side effect.

Perhaps the right solution is a concept-specific specialization of bodydiv that disallows sections? I think that's what I would do if I were designing my own specialization. That would certainly be consistent with having specialized body for concept. Certainly having conbodydiv should not be a surprise to anyone.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect
Main: 610.631.6770