Subject: Proposal for Consideration: Default Behavior for List Items

Per the action out of last week's meeting, I submit the following
proposal for approval by the TC:

"By default, the rendering of list items is not affected the presence or
absence of an initial paragraph element such that the markup <li>Item
indistinguishable, all other variables being the same."

The <ol> and <ul> elements both provide a "compact=" attribute that
indicates the desire for more or less space between list items.

We also discussed the issue that IBM's pre-OASIS markup design for step
lists had rules for determining if a given list of steps should be
compact or not lead to not providing compact= on <steps> but that steps=
should provide compact= (because that particular behavior was too
specific and there is no way to override it in the current markup
design). It was agreed that adding compact= to <steps> would not create
any backward compatibility problems.

Cheers,

Eliot

Senior Solutions Architect