Subject: Re: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations

Actually, this is largely unique to DITA. When I worked with DocBook and proprietary DTDs, we never allowed this sort of markup. The authors had an easier time (the DTDs were stricter, so it was obvious how they should mark up their content) and translation worked as expected. If DITA had a different element for the "embedded list" or whatever you want to call it, then translation tools could be configured to treat the list embedded in the paragraph as an in-line element (assuming marking up an embedded list inside a paragraph is good practice, which I don't believe it is). But when the same elements are used in so many contexts, as is the case with DITA, the translation tools can't accommodate every case correctly, and the result is increased localization costs and inferior translations. So many companies are not realizing the ROI on their DITA migrations, largely because of issues that arise during translation. Considering that many of these companies move to DITA to save translation costs, the team leaders end up looking stupid when the promised ROI is not there and they have to explain why.

So long as you are working in a single language, you can mark up however you wish. When you start translating, bad markup comes back to bite you... (So does incorrect use of variables and conditional text...)

Gershon

----- Original Message ----
From: Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>
To: JoAnn Hackos <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>
Cc: DITA TC List <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>; Gershon L Joseph [Yahoo] <gljoseph@yahoo.com>; Robert D Anderson <robander@us.ibm.com>; Rob Frankland <robf@sockmonkeyconsult.com>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 9:37:22 PM

Semantically the following two constructions are equivalent:

<ul>
<li>one</li>
<li>two</li>
<li>three</li>
</ul>

If the segmentation rules don't work with the second case, shouldn't that mean the segmentation rules need updating? This won't be unique to DITA.

Michael Priestley
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"JoAnn Hackos" <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

04/14/2008 02:04 PM

"Rob Frankland" <robf@sockmonkeyconsult.com>, Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Gershon L Joseph [Yahoo]" <gljoseph@yahoo.com>
cc
"DITA TC List" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>, "Robert D Anderson" <robander@us.ibm.com>
Subject
RE: [dita] Re: Discuss list processing expectations

We have discussed some of the list processing issues in the context of translation. The segmentation rules that are supported by XLIFF create segments where tags begin and end, unless a tag is explicitly defined as an inline element. The inline element requires no separate segmentation so that <uicontrol> in line in a sentence does not create three segments, one before, one after, and the word itself. Generally the translator can mouse over an inline word to see what the markup is.

However, including the list within the paragraph tag does create segmentation problems because the <p> segment does not close until after the <li> segments. For that reason, translation best practice leads to the following (as we have discussed):

<li>bullet2</li>
</ul>

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD