Subject: RE: [dita] Language specification items

Hi Jeff,

My thoughts on the topicref/topichead/topicgroup item are as follows,
subject to discussion -

* A topichead without navtitle is an error condition
* A topicgroup with a navtitle is an error condition (can be warned about
or the title may be ignored)
* A topicref with no navtitle, href, keyref is functionally the same as a
topicgroup
* A topicref with a navtitle but no href or keyref is functionally the same
as a topichead

That's based on a combination of my memory of how those elements were
defined, how I know some processing works, and how I know some people
author their maps or specializations. Currently, I think most tools don't
actually check for topichead or for topicgroup because the behaviors match.
The change here would be that if you do actually use one of those in the
error conditions, processors are expected to do something different than
they would for the base topicref. I don't think this would change any
behaviors for base topicref or other topicref specializations.

Does that make sense?

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)