Subject: RE: [dita] Question about stepsection

How things are numbered is styling. I think there should be a lot of flexibility as to how things are styled. So making this an absolute requirement would make me uncomfortable.

But describing the intended default behavior for stepsection in the spec. seems like a good thing to do.  I think Eliot would call this "Variable with defaults".

   -Jeff

Variable with defaults

Features that MAY produce various behaviors or outputs, but for

which the DITA specification defines a default that all conforming

implementations MUST provide.

Implementations are NOT REQUIRED to make the DITA-defined

default their default. Implementations are only REQUIRED to

provide an appropriate set of options or configuration that will

provide the DITA-defined defaults.

These features are primarily formatting defaults for elements where

a default presentation is natural or expected, such as paragraphs,

lists, and tables. An application for a specific use domain might

define default formatting behaviors that are significantly different

from the DITA-defined defaults. For example, an application

specifically for legal information could provide a different default

presentation from an application for technical documentation.