Subject: Reltable header question

While working on some of the subject scheme and controlled values items, I
noticed an inconsistency in the new reltable headers.

DITA currently allows the <data> and <data-about> elements in a wide
variety of locations in order to allow for metadata specializations. We
allow it as a child of map, topicref, and within reltable cells.

With DITA 1.2 we are adding the ability to put topicrefs into reltable
headers -- among other things, this allows grouping items by subject or
grouping links by a new type. The relcolspec element has a model of
(title?, topicmeta?, topicref*)

This makes the element stand out a bit because it does not allow for <data>
specializations directly within the header (though they can be nested
inside topicref). The controlled values proposal contains a couple of
specializations of relcolspec that assume data is allowed; this makes them
invalid at the moment.

We have 2 choices here -- I vote for option 1, but I'll be happy with
either solution:
1. Allow <data> within relcolspec, making the model
(title?, topicmeta?, (data | data-about | topicref)*)

2. Remove the data elements from specialized relcolspec elements

What do others think?

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit
(507) 253-8787, T/L 553-8787 (Good Monday & Thursday)