Subject: RE: [dita] proposal for DITA 1.3: same document/same topic DITA reference syntax

I understand. We're free to use the existing notation if we don't mind losing the portability benefit of the proposed new notation.

    filename.dita#topicid/elementid == #topicid/elementid or #/elementid redundantly

    Is the line above missing a dot?

Yes. Thanks.

    /Bruce

From: Ogden, Jeff [mailto:jogden@ptc.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:43 PM
To: Bruce Nevin (bnevin); dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Comments edited into the text below.

   -Jeff

From: Bruce Nevin (bnevin) [mailto:bnevin@cisco.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 11:07 PM
To: Ogden, Jeff; dita@lists.oasis-open.org

In the existing syntax, null filename signifies same document, so in this proposal . following null filename signifies same topic. A nice symmetry:

#.

    same document, same topic

#./elementid

    same document, same topic, specified element within it

#topicid

    same document, specified topic within it

#topicid/elementid

    same document, specified topic within it, specified element within that

filename.dita#topicid

    specified document, specified topic in it

filename.dita#topicid/elementid

    specified document, specified topic in it, specified element within that

An element referring to itself is not supported, and I suppose it's assumed not to occur. If there were a use case, #./. would be the appropriate syntax. Do you want to support it just in case?

I couldn’t think of a legitimate use case and so didn’t want to clutter things up with something that wouldn’t be used and which might in fact be confusing or dangerous. If there is a case where a same element reference would be useful, we could consider adding this form.

What happens if the topicid value is the id of the containing topic?

I don’t understand the question.  The id represented by the dot will always be the id of the containing topic.

#topicid == #. redundantly, or made illegal?

#topicid/elementid == #./elementid redundantly, or made illegal?

All four of these forms would be legal. Authors would be free to use the syntax that best meets their needs.

This is shorthand for potential existing syntax. That is, if filename.dita is the name of the containing file, then

filename.dita#topicid == #topicid or #. redundantly

filename.dita#topicid/elementid == #topicid/elementid or #/elementid redundantly

Is the line above missing a dot? Should it read:

filename.dita#topicid/elementid == #topicid/elementid or #./elementid redundantly

How is that handled now? And with this proposal, do we make it illegal, or accept it as a redundant alternative?

I don’t see any reason for any of these forms to be illegal.  They all reference the same element and could be used interchangeably as authors see fit.

    /Bruce