Subject: RE: [dita] Revised content model options for #12011 - Generic Task Type

G’day all!

Has consideration been given to how links might be handled from a high level process to lower level tasks? One handy approach allowed by DITA is the abstraction of links, where links are derived from the context of the ditamap collection, rather than be included in the topic.

Troy talked about a model where process items map to task headings. If a reltable is used to define the links from the process ot the task, the process will appear to be repeated, with the tasks of the process first enumerated, and then the reltable links to those tasks generated below. This might sound a bit oblique, but would it make sense to define a process in the ditamap? A process might be made up of a concept  (overview of process) topic and then the constituent task topics in sequence.

Tony Self

From: Troy Klukewich [mailto:troy.klukewich@oracle.com]
Sent: Friday, 14 November 2008 3:46 AM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi:

I have some thoughts and observations on the process versus task distinction, at least from my own history and bias.

On a previous, pre-DITA implementation using structured principles and XML, we found that there was a clear semantic difference between process and task descriptions. Basically, in the legacy we found an incredible number of pseudo-procedures masquerading as tasks, which no one could actually perform on their own. After the conversion, we made a clear distinction between high level processes that do no describe discrete, literal steps and tasks, which do.

So, a process might be (off the top of my head):

Creating a database

1. Drop a connection component on the design surface
2. Connect to a data source
3. Configure the data adapter

In the old doc, that would be it. Writers thought they had written a "task." It looks like a task, right? But when we analyzed the actual steps involved in this apparently simple process, there were at least 15 discrete steps involved, any one of which would prevent success if not done properly.

In this particular case, we received numerous support calls because customers could not in fact build a database application following our old instructions. When we separated out high level processes from tasks, adding literal steps where needed, the support calls for this issue vanished.

So, personally, I like to make a hard distinction between processes and tasks. There is a place for both, but I do not like mixing them together, especially in a mission critical context. Ideally, all high level processes map to more detailed tasks, which articulate the actual steps, including case scenarios with sample data in steps for otherwise abstract, generic processes.

In particular, I like a model where the process items map to task headings to articulate the step details involved. For more complicated processes that involve a huge number of steps, there is inevitably a break-out into distinct sequences, perhaps by screen, object, table, or even an entire application in a multi-application process. I personally cannot stand gigantic tasks that have twenty-plus sequential steps. They get tedious to follow and the eye begins to swim. A process overview is needed in these cases and the steps should be broken out into related tasks, each heading mapping back to a point in the process overiew.

Here's the kicker. While I believe that task steps should always be constrained in a task topic with a specified output, I do not believe that processes should be constrained to task topics, as I can see a conceptual discussion around high level processes in conceptual topics as a typical application in enterprise doc.

On the other hand, complicated tasks may well require a short process overview in the task itself, assuming that multiple task headings are contained in one file, which I generally avoid unless the tasks are distinctly related (perhaps in a case scenario with sample data). This approach is similar to the classic thesis approach in essay writing where the author would traditionally outline major points in a preceding paragraph before delving into the (massive) details within the essay itself. (General to specific.)

While it seems that the process element was created for a number of reasons, this is how I would implement it myself. I would rather use a process element than say, an unordered list for a generic process, as there is semantic relationship to tasks that is worth tracking and keeping separate from the plethora of other unordered lists that do not describe processes.

Troy Klukewich
Information Architect
Oracle

From JoAnn Hackos <joann.hackos@comtech-serv.com>

Sent Thu 11/13/2008 5:53 AM

To Bob Thomas <bob.thomas@tagsmiths.com>; Michael Priestley <mpriestl@ca.ibm.com>

Cc dita@lists.oasis-open.org

Subject RE: [dita] Revised content model options for #12011 - Generic Task Type

Hi Bob,

I tend to agree with you. I cannot find any rationale in the memos (so far) for the <process> alternative in task. I can't think of what it's supposed to handle that cannot already be handled by steps or steps-unordered. Haven't heard back from Alan Houser, however, who originally proposed it.

Michael is also checking the email archives.

I'd be in favor of your proposal to chuck it at this point. I think it just creates confusion for authors.

Regards,

JoAnn

JoAnn T. Hackos, PhD
President