Subject: Behavior of <q> element

Hello,

Going through the review comments to the specification, I found that
somebody asked for examples of how <q> should be processed. Generally, we
try to stay away from processing behaviors, but this one may be an
exception. The current description gives no suggestions as to whether or
not quotes should be generated. I checked the HTML 4.01 specification to
see what they say; that specification says that q must be rendered with
quotations, and that users should not add their own quotes. It goes on to
say that the quotes should be rendered in a language-sensitive manner. See
the section on rendering quotations:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/text.html#edef-Q

Should we make a similar statement? I do not want to add behaviors that
MUST be done without consulting the full TC, so - this is my consultation.

Thanks -

Robert D Anderson
IBM Authoring Tools Development
Chief Architect, DITA Open Toolkit