OASIS Mailing List ArchivesView the OASIS mailing list archive below
or browse/search using MarkMail.


Help: OASIS Mailing Lists Help | MarkMail Help

dita message

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]

Subject: DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 27 January 2008


Gershon Joseph
Technical Leader
PDI DocTools

Phone: +972 9 892-7157
Mobile: +972 57 314-1170

Cisco Systems, Inc.

Cisco home page

Think before you print. Think before you print.
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

Cisco Systems Limited (Company Number: 02558939), is registered in England and Wales with its registered office at 1 Callaghan Square, Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT


GIF image

GIF image

DITA Technical Committee Meeting Minutes: 27 January 2008

Chaired by Don Day <dond@us.ibm.com>
Minutes recorded by Gershon Joseph <gerjosep@cisco.com>

The DITA Technical Committee met on Tuesday, 27 January 2008 at 08:00am PT for
60 minutes.

Roll call (Regrets: Jim Early)
  > We have quorum.

Approve minutes from previous business meetings:
  * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00033.html (20 Jan 2009)

  > Accepted by acclamation.

Subcommittee reports (as needed) 
  * OASIS DITA Translation Subcommittee 
  * OASIS DITA Learning Content Subcommittee 
  * OASIS DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee
  * OASIS DITA Semiconductor Information Design Subcommittee (tentatively Feb 3)
  * OASIS DITA for Enterprise Business Documents Subcommittee (tentatively Feb 24)
  * OASIS DITA Help Subcommittee (tentatively Feb 10)
  * OASIS DITA for Technical Standards (tentatively Feb 17)
  * OASIS DITA Adoption TC
    > The TC meetings have been moved to Wednesdays. Anyone on this TC who would like to
    > join the Adoption TC now that the meetings are on Wednesdays are welcome to join.


1.  ITEM: 2009 schedule; First quarter review goals 
    * AI (Don and Gershon): Note to McRae about CMS (initiated draft)
      > CONTINUED.
    * AI (Don): Send outline to Jeff for comments (sent, no reply yet)
      > CLOSED.
    * AI (Don): Send note to TC for volunteers (sent, many replies)
      > CLOSED.
    * reassign Jeff's items: 
      * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00027.html
    > CLOSED (carried over to items 2 and 3 below).

2.  ITEM: review Master Topic List--Gershon 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00030.html () 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00042.html (Gershon)

    > Gershon to update the spreadsheet based on the draft 1.2 TOC (outline) plus 
    > additional input from Michael on specialization TOC changes.
    > Gershon to add columns for writer assignment plus status and review columns plus status (done).
    > Don designated Gershon as the maintainer of the spreadsheet and will provide 
    > updates at the TC meetings.
    > Michael mentioned that the TOC should still be maintained in the Wiki. Gershon 
    > confirmed we're all on the same page about this -- the spreadsheet is to manage 
    > the topics, while the TOC is to manage the ditamaps.
    > Michael asked Gershon to update the dita map based on the updated TOC outline.

3.  ITEM: DITA 1.2 Specification Review Assignments 
    * http://wiki.oasis-open.org/dita/Draft_DITA_1.2_Specification_Review_Assignments

    > ACTION: Gershon to copy this data into the spreadsheet and then review the spreadsheet.

4.  New ITEM: "Conref push for static output formats" discussion 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200812/msg00006.html 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200812/msg00007.html


5.  New ITEM: Map structure and possible new attribute for conref push and anchorref 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00034.html (Su-Laine Yeo, Eliot, Bruce)


6.  New ITEM: Cross-references to Topicheads and Implicit Title-only Topics 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00039.html (Eliot, others)

    > Eliot defined the issue: The map has several layers of topichead and within the 
    > content you need to add a reference to the topichead. What does it mean to have an 
    > xref to a topichead in the map? The spec should then say the topicheads imply the 
    > title of a topic. Current DITA-OT HTML and PDF2 behaviors differ. TC members 
    > agreed that xref to a topichead is a valid use case and processing should generate 
    > an appropriate topic for the topichead and link to that topic as if the topichead 
    > was a topichead/topic pair. So the arch spec should say that topichead is 
    > equivalent to a topichead/topic pair. Clarification: topichead may also be a 
    > topicref with no @href. 
    > Another use case is the ability to xref to a map file. Robert asked what about if 
    > you need to reference a map that represents a different book?
    > Eliot: Use @scope = local vs external. 

    > Continue discussion on the list and revisit next week.

    > ACTION: Folks to contribute some more use cases to the list. In particular, use 
    > cases where users would not expect an associated topic to be created in the 
    > content area. 
    > Robert: Are there other publishing formats we have not considered where it could be 
    > considered differently -- in HTML and PDF we're covered, but what about other 
    > output formats? Don to follow up on this one.


-- meeting adjourned --

7.  ITEM: Behavior of q element 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00005.html and following (Anderson) 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200901/msg00026.html (Anderson follow up) 

Ongoing checks: 

1.  ITEM: OASIS hosting of a Web GUI 
    * Review progress 

2.  ITEM: Request for input on DITA 1.2 use: 
    * Status of DITA OT 1.5 reference implementation of 1.2 features: 
      * http://dita.xml.org/wiki/plans-for-dita-ot-15 
    * Note new list below for collecting affirmations of use. 

3.  ITEM: Review 1.2 list for items that should be considered for 1.3 
    * Update the DITA 1.3 list on the Wiki (Gershon) 
    * Action check: Gershon to add his research into the DITA 1.3 Proposals table. 

4.  ITEM: Cascading/Inheritance of default values 
    * http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/dita/200810/msg00009.html (ogden) 

[Date Prev] | [Thread Prev] | [Thread Next] | [Date Next] -- [Date Index] | [Thread Index] | [List Home]