Subject: RE: [dita] Data types and default values

In all my standards writing experience, we have made
a distinction between the standard and tutorials about
the standard.

The standard is not written for the end user with no
background.  Rather, it is written "on the shoulders"
of other standards (e.g., the XML standard) as much
as possible so as to avoid redefining technical terms
that are defined elsewhere.  Whenever one standard
starts trying to paraphrase another, it usually does
a poorer job than the original, and confusion can ensue.

I think we should stick with the XML terms and simply
include a reference to the XML spec (if one isn't
already there).  For those who know XML, the terms
CDATA, NMTOKEN, and #IMPLIED are perfect; for those
who don't know XML, there will hopefully be DITA
tutorials--we should not be writing the official
DITA standard as a tutorial.

Since DTDs are the only schema language built into
the XML standard, it is completely reasonable to
use that syntax.  We can certain say that DITA is
compatible with--and can be used with--XML Schemas
and other schema languages, but it makes perfect sense
to use DTD syntax in the standard that defines DITA.

paul