Subject: RE: [dita] allowing appendices to be grouped

Works for me, though none of my clients ever asked to group appendices
in this way. Is this a common request? I'm wondering whether these
clients should just specialize bookmap themselves.

I'd like to ask the DITA Adoption TC for their thoughts on this. I'll
forward your email to the Adoption TC and let you know if we get any
useful input.

Gershon

-----Original Message-----
From: Grosso, Paul [mailto:pgrosso@ptc.com]
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2009 11:08 PM
To: dita@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [dita] allowing appendices to be grouped

We have some customers who want to be able to group their appendices in
their bookmap and have a topichead that shows up in the ToC for the
group of appendices.

This would parallel the way one can group chapters in a part.

In fact, the first suggestion was to allow appendix in part.  This would
be an acceptable solution for our customers.

Another solution is to add a specialization of topicref called
"appendices" (or whatever) and change the content of bookmap to be:

<!ENTITY % bookmap.content
                       "(((%title;) |
                          (%booktitle;))?,
                         (%bookmeta;)?,
                         (%frontmatter;)?,
                         (%chapter;)*,
                         (%part;)*,
                         ((%appendices;)? | (%appendix;)*),
                         (%backmatter;)?,
                         (%reltable;)*)"

where appendices has a content model of (%appendix;)*.

Can the DITA TC consider this issue and see if either or both of these
solutions is something we can do to bookmap?

paul