Subject: Re: [dita] use of <term>

Not to be flippant, but I would see the requirement Bruce outlines as being
obvious to the implementor of any DITA-aware CMS or custom publishing system
vendor.

I don't think it's the place of the spec to talk about general requirements
for how to manage and author DITA content--that's simply too open-ended. But
that seems like exactly the role of the DITA Adoption TC--to clearly
articulate requirements like this one.

The DITA spec needs to focus on the facts of what it says about the markup
and direct processing expectations and requirements. General how-to
information and general "you could do X" or "X would be really helpful" is
simply not appropriate for a standard.

Or said another way, the standard is law, what Bruce has presented is
interpretation. They are both important but they belong in different
documents.

Cheers,

Eliot

On 3/12/09 10:45 AM, "Bruce Nevin (bnevin)" <bnevin@cisco.com> wrote:

> I see no harm in the spec giving indications to vendors as to what they should
> be developing.
>
> This is an important function that's been in my requirements doc for six years
> or more, with no vendor supporting it. Process as follows: Writer marks an
> item in a topic with <term>. Processing harvests every <term> in all the
> topics in a map (or other aggregation). If a given <term>-tagged item also
> appears in an associated glossary document (associated in the publishing
> environment), it is included in a glossary for the publication that is
> assembled and published as part of that document, and appropriately linked in
> online renditions. If a given <term>-tagged item does not appear in the
> glossary, a flag is raised for someone to create a glossary entry for it, and
> until then that item is not rendered as a glossary item (link, etc.) or in any
> special way.
>
> At present, glossaries are labor intensive, error prone, and often omitted
> although desired.
>
> This is an example of how use cases may not be being communicated to vendors,
> and the spec can help close that loop. Relevance to adoption is obvious.
>
>     /B

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>