Subject: Re: Hazard Statement Width

Thanks for that extra insight, Chris. I'll copy those style/implementation
concerns into the new issues document--I do believe that is the correct
place for us to carry on these more style-oriented discussions.  Thanks for
everyone's understanding in driving to an improved spec statement and
separation of the style issues.

Regards,
--
Don Day
Chair, OASIS DITA Technical Committee
Architect, Lightweight DITA Publishing Solutions
Email: dond@us.ibm.com
11501 Burnet Rd. MS9033E015, Austin TX 78758
Phone: +1 512-244-2868 (home office)

   --T.S. Eliot

  From:       "Christian Kravogel" <christian.kravogel@seicodyne.ch>

  To:         "'Grosso, Paul'" <pgrosso@ptc.com>, Don Day/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, "'dita'"
              <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>

  Date:       03/24/2009 11:21 AM

  Subject:    Hazard Statement Width

Paul, Don,

I just checked the content model of hazardstatement and it's child
elements, and I do not find any potential error.

Paul, your statement "In a hazard statement, you can set the width of the
hazard statement using the attribute width." is not correct.
hazardstatement has been derived from the element note and there is no
width attribute.

So we can shorten it and just leave everything as it is.

The width for a hazardstatement still is an issue, an important issue, but
it is just a rendering issue. And we may have to provide guidance or
recomendations in a document.

If we like to be very fastidious we may have to cover issues like: when a
hazardstatement with a hazardsymbol is placed into a table and the width of
the hazardsymbol is exceeding the width of the tablecell, the table or even
the pagewidth. But then we may need to catch all cases of nested width
attributes in our specification.

Best regards

Chris

SeicoDyne GmbH
Eichenstrasse 16
CH-6015 Reussbühl
Switzerland
Tel: +41 41 534 66 97
Mob: +41 78 790 66 97
Skype: seicodyne

www.seicodyne.com
christian.kravogel@seicodyne.com

Member of the DITA Technical Committee
Chairman of the DITA Machine Industry Subcommittee