Subject: RE: [dita] Inheritance of attributes through mapref

We don't need to provide a meaning for all possible combinations of all attribute values.  And I will argue that it is better/simpler/more understandable if we don't.

So, for something like @scope we could say that when @format="ditamap" that the only meaningful value for @scope is "local", that in this case other @scope values are either

1.    errors for which an implementation SHOULD report an error or warning message and MAY, but is NOT REQUIRED to, recover by assuming a value of "local" and continuing; or

2.    that results are implantation specific and as a result values of @scope other than "local" SHOULD be used with caution since they may not produce the same results when used with different implementations.

   -Jeff