Subject: RE: [dita] referencing a bookmap from a map

Hi Jeff,

>   Topicref to bookmap:
>      Chapters in the bookmap maintain their “chapterness”
>      Parts in the bookmap maintain their “partness”

If we think of a mapref as being parallel to a conref (basically a shorthand for "pull the target hierarchy into this point in this hierarchy, but push reltables to the end because they're not allowed within a hierarchy") then we should discard the chapterness - just like we discard <step>ness when we conref from a <li>.

Otherwise we allow chapters to nest, and break any bookmap processors that are expecting DTD-validated content.

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

06/09/2009 10:33 AM

"dita" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc
Subject
RE: [dita] referencing a bookmap from a map

One approach to this is to simply say that the context (“chapterness”, “partness”, or …) does not cascade when a generic topic reference is used. Where a generic topic reference is a reference from a topicref or any topicref specialization defined in mapgropup-d  (mostly this just picks up mapref).

The idea is that we don't want to lose the more detailed context that is available from a topicref specialization when maps or branches of maps are referenced using generic topicrefs that contain less information.

This might or might not also be combined with a note that says that such references are discouraged and that implementations MAY, but are NOT REQUIRED to, issue warning messages in such cases.

So,

   Topicref to bookmap:
      Chapters in the bookmap maintain their “chapterness”
      Parts in the bookmap maintain their “partness”

   Chapter to map:
      Top level topicrefs in the map receive “chapterness”

   Part to map
      Top level topicrefs in the map receive “partness”

  -Jeff