Subject: RE: [dita] topicref to map - draft of recommended behavior

The class of an element is confusing with the class attribute, but that's not a bad thing - in fact the class of an element is determined by its class attribute, even more than its element type. I was suggesting we use element class vs element class semantics... but this whole thing is getting trickier by the minute. I'm going to sleep on it.

re generalization - if we want to use the word, we get to qualify the heck out of it. Because we don't mean with preservation of class attributes, and we don't mean to any valid ancestor, and we don't mean with selective generalization of any mismatched domains. We don't mean generalization in the sense that it is used when conreffing between document types, where one is the specialization of the other. We just mean "don't know what to do with this, so going to make it topicrefs - you've been warned. This may or may not be valid, but at least it's expected".

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

06/24/2009 02:32 PM

Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
"dita" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject
RE: [dita] topicref to map - draft of recommended behavior

I think context is what was used in 12055, but I’d be happy with using something else if we can figure out a good term. Class would seem to conflict with the existing class attribute in much the same way as type conflicts with @type.  But having said this I’m not feeling very creative and can’t come up with other terms that I like.  Perhaps we can reword to avoid the issue.  Or perhaps we need to use a short phrase rather than a single word term?  Some possibilities:
            Element type
            Type of element
            Element class

I don’t agree with the comment about not knowing enough about the referencing element’s content model to be able to generalize. We may know enough and we aren’t requiring generalization, just allowing the possibility.

So here is a reworded version:

A generic topicref to a generic map may be used to create an aggregated result, incorporating the contents of the referenced map into the referencing map. When the topicref is to a whole map, rather than an individual branch, then an aggregating process may achieve a DITA -valid aggregated result by pulling the target map's top-level topicrefs into the location of the referencing topicrefs, with any reltables moved to the end of the referencing map to avoid having reltable elements at invalid locations.
(see dita 1.1:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/common/theformatattribute.html)

When a topicref points to a map and either or both elements are specialized or contain specializations, the type of the referencing element
(part, chapter, topicref, ) typically determines the DITA type context of the elements being pulled in to be included  should be preserved in the aggregated result. For example, a <chapter> reference to a map implies that the target's top-level topicrefs will become act as <chapter> elements. However, it may be desirable to and processing should allow the preserve preservation of the semantics context element type implied by of the referenced map's elements in any DITA-valid aggregated result. For example, a <topicref> to a bookmap could be resolved into a set of topicrefs with outputclass="chapter".  Typically an aggregating process would not include literal elements from unknown specializations, since it faces the risk of including specialized elements that are not valid in the referencing context. Typically processing should not unconditionally include literal elements from unknown specializations in an aggregated result when the elements are not valid in the referencing context. Instead the referencing element or a generalized version of the referenced element may be included to create a DITA-valid aggregated result, with the referencing and referenced context information preserved by other means. Processors are free to use other means to preserve the referencing and referenced contexts element type information when they are creating an intermediate result that is not necessarily a DITA-valid aggregate.

When you create processing for a new specialization of topicref, be aware of the following considerations:

- should it be able to reference other maps?

- should it be able to referency any type of map?

- is it valid for the target's top-level topicrefs to be pulled into the reference's location, becoming multiple instances of the referencing element type? (as described in the previous paragraph)

- is it appropriate for the children of the target element to be pulled in as generic topicrefs, with any additional semantics preserved in some other manner (for example, outputclass)? (as described in the previous paragraph)

If the answer to all of these is yes, then the base-level aggregation policies should be appropriate. Otherwise you will need to create overriding processing to ensure the aggregated result is appropriate for your needs.

   -Jeff

RE: [dita] topicref to map - draft of recommended behavior

Some wording quibbles:

- context vs type vs semantic - I can understand not using type, but context for me is too broad - context could just mean the surroundings of the element, its attributes etc. The main need is to distinguish when we mean element type/class vs other way of preserving semantics - how about using the word class when we mean element type, and semantics for the general case?

- generalization: don't want to use the word generalization here because that has really specific meaning which we're not implying (we don't know enough about the referencing element's content model to usefully generalize to any particular ancestor)

Michael Priestley, Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
Lead IBM DITA Architect
mpriestl@ca.ibm.com
http://dita.xml.org/blog/25

"Ogden, Jeff" <jogden@ptc.com>

06/23/2009 02:14 PM

Michael Priestley/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "dita" <dita@lists.oasis-open.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [dita] topicref to map - draft of recommended behavior

This seems good.  I suggest a few minor changes below.

I’m concerned that the phrase “DITA type” may be confused with @type, when they are different things.

I’ve softened some of the language to make it clear that processors have more latitude when they are not creating DITA-valid aggregates.

   -Jeff

A generic topicref to a generic map may be used to create an aggregated result, incorporating the contents of the referenced map into the referencing map. When the topicref is to a whole map, rather than an individual branch, then an aggregating process may achieve a DITA -valid aggregated result by pulling the target map's top-level topicrefs into the location of the referencing topicrefs, with any reltables moved to the end of the referencing map to avoid having reltable elements at invalid locations.

(see dita 1.1:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/dita/v1.1/OS/langspec/common/theformatattribute.html)

When a topicref points to a map and either or both elements are specialized or contain specializations, the type of the referencing element typically determines the
DITA type context of the elements being pulled in to be included in the aggregated result. For example, a <chapter> reference to a map implies that the target's top-level topicrefs will become act as <chapter> elements. However, it may be desirable to and processing should allow the preserve preservation of the semantics context implied by of the referenced map's elements in any DITA-valid aggregated result. For example, a <topicref> to a bookmap could be resolved into a set of topicrefs with outputclass="chapter".  Typically an aggregating process would not include literal elements from unknown specializations, since it faces the risk of including specialized elements that are not valid in the referencing context. Typically processing should not unconditionally include literal elements from unknown specializations in an aggregated result when the elements are not valid in the referencing context. Instead the referencing element or a generalized version of the referenced element may be included to create a DITA-valid aggregated result, with the referencing and referenced context information preserved by other means. Processors are free to use other means to preserve the referencing and referenced contexts when they are creating an intermediate result that is not necessarily a DITA-valid aggregate.

[...]

Here's what I think we agreed on in today's call - making it three paras, one to provide descrip of existing default behavior, one to provide guidance for specialized processing, and finally one to provide explicit guidance to specializers. I expect this will require more tinkering, and hope I haven't missed any points - if I have I welcome corrections: