Subject: Re: [dita] some comemnts on the Draft DITA 1.2 architecture spec.

On 7/1/09 11:33 AM, "Dana Spradley" <dana.spradley@oracle.com> wrote:

> I think I'm starting to agree with you Jeff: the entire section should be
> called "Customization," and specialization should be considered a species of
> customization.

I agree with Dana's characterization of the different activities as shown
below (must,should,may).

However, I'm not sure I agree that "customization" is the right word to
classifity all of these activities: DITA, by its nature, is a framework for
building concrete DITA-based applications. Any non-trivial use of DITA would
be customization, by this definition, because you can't actually use DITA
(safely) without at least creating local shells. But really creating shells
and constraints is configuration, in the way that many enterprises
distinguish between configuration (adjusting the features used or
controlling behavior through non-programming means), rather than
customization in the sense of modifying or extending the processing
implementation.

One can even argue that the creation of specialization modules is, by
itself, configuration since it doesn't, necessarily require any modification
to existing processing to be useful (that being one of the points of
specialization, after all).

However, I will concede that defining a specialized vocabulary is an
implementation action where defining shells and constraints is not (that is,
shell definition and constraint specification could both be enabled through
relatively simple UIs that remove the need for DTD or schema syntax
knowledge--that is not the case for specialization module implementation in
the general case [although there are many simple specialization use cases
where it could be enabled through a UI].

> So the distinction is between using a vendor implementation of DITA off the
> shelf and out of the box without modification - which some, perhaps many
> implementors are going to do - and "customizing" that vendor implementation to
> fit customer requirements.

What is a vendor implementation of DITA? It can only mean, in terms of the
standard, a DITA-aware tool that comes pre-packaged with at least the
standard vocabulary modules and some set of shell DTDs. No other aspect of
such a system is governed directly by the DITA standard, except to the
degree that the standard requires or suggests particular processing results.

It would make sense to talk about customizing such a tool's *processing*
(that is, it's particular implementation of DITA processing semantics) but
simply providing new shells or conforming vocabulary modules would not, I
think, be "customization" because doing so should not necessarily require
any modification to processing.

That is, as indicated in Dana's list below, support for shells, constraints,
and specialization modules is mandatory and the use of then should not
constitute "customization" by itself. Certainly the creation of shells and
constraints is very much a "configuration" activity, not a customization
activity, because it serves only to use or not use existing things.

Creating a specialized vocabulary could be seen as "customization" in the
sense that you may be creating new stuff to meet specific local
requirements, but because the ability to do so is a fundamental aspect of
DITA, it is much more simply "using DITA" rather than "customizing DITA"
(because DITA, itself is not a thing that you customize, but a framework by
which you create custom things).

In particular, I want very much for the act of using and creating
non-standard vocabulary modules to be presented as part of the normal use of
DITA, not something that takes you outside the normal parameters of DITA
use. Labeling it as "customization" seems to do that.

> What this section needs to do in terms of conformance is to spell out vendor
> and implementor responsibilities for each kind of customization to achieve an
> interoperable, or at least a harmless, system (to use the RFC phraseology on
> conformance statements), i.e.:
>   a.. Shells: Vendors MUST support, implementors SHOULD use
>   b.. Constraints: Vendors MUST support, implementors SHOULD use
>   c.. Specialization: Vendors MUST support, implementors MAY use
>   d.. Variation (or whatever we call customization that changes some parts of
> the DITA vocabulary or violates some of its architectural principles, yet
> produces valid XML, and perhaps even valid DITA document instances): Vendors
> SHOULD support, implementors MAY use

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>