Subject: Conformance and interoperability

Perhaps someone with more experience setting standards that I can help me - this TC is my only exposure to such work - but after looking into the RFC everyone subscribes to regarding key words for requirement levels - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt - in order to review the "Specialization..." section of our draft 1.2 architectural spec, I must admit I'm a bit confused by some of what we seem to be doing in it.

The RFC says such imperatives "must not be used to try to impose a particular method on implementors where the method is not required for interoperability."

So I take it that as long as my implementation can supply DITA-compliant XML document instances to another party - and accept such instances from them - this TC has absolute no right to legislate the particular mechanisms I use to do that.

For example, I may map DITA elements and attributes onto an entirely different XML vocabulary and process this non-DITA vocabulary using an architecture of my own design, and so long as I transform them back to DITA before sending them off - I've fulfilled my end of the interoperability bargain.

Is that everyone's understanding here?