Subject: RE: [dita] editorial help: conref.dita

Sounds like you need to have a valid DITA document with a topic DOCTYPE declaration in the prolog in order for the processor to recognize the target element as valid. Otherwise, you could just point to any well-formed XML that happened to contain a DITA element at the target location. Maybe it can't locate the target unless the DOM is valid DITA?

I'm struck by the parenthetical. Should we say to use topicref if you want to point to a topic or map?

    /Bruce

From: Park Seth-R01164 [mailto:seth.park@freescale.com]
Sent: Saturday, July 11, 2009 8:46 PM
To: DITA TC
Subject: [dita] editorial help: conref.dita

I dont understand the following paragraph. There seems to be an implied restriction...

from conref.dita
"
The target of a conref must be within a DITA topic or DITA map (or point to the entire topic or map). Fragments of DITA content (such as a document containing only a single paragraph) do not contain enough information on their own to allow the conref processor to determine the validity of a reference to them.
"

seth park
information architect
Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.