Subject: RE: [dita] <shortdesc> in a DITA map

I think I’m going to argue that we shouldn’t try to resolve this for DITA 1.2 and leave it as something to be addressed for DITA 1.3.  I guess this may be option C.

Here is my thinking on this:

·         The DITA 1.1 spec. is ambiguous about how shortdesc in a map should be handled.

·         But an argument can be made that the DITA 1.1 spec. comes closest to calling for option A (link preview only).

·         But option A that makes shortdesc processing a special case when compared to how other metadata in a map is processed.

·         I think it would be better to be consistent and to treat shortdesc in the same way that we treat other metadata elements (option B).

·         I think this will make it easier for users to remember.

·         I also think it will avoid additional questions about the interaction of @lockmeta and @keyref processing with shortdesc processing.

·         But option B is a bigger departure from the DITA 1.1 spec. and as such, it isn’t a decision we should make in a rush or something that we should force on implementers late in the development of the DITA 1.2 spec.

·         And if we were to go with option B, then we’d be immediately confronted with the question of adding a new element, perhaps <linkpreview>, for the purposes of specifying link preview text in a map without overriding shortdesc in a topic.  And that would likely delay finalizing work on DITA 1.2 even further.

·         And so deferring resolution of this to DITA 1.3 seems to be the best course of action at this time.

   -Jeff