Subject: Re: [dita] Why There are Constraints on Conref

On 9/29/09 9:22 PM, "Kristen James Eberlein" <keberlein@pobox.com> wrote:

> I'm glad that Tony brought this up. The DITA spec -- and other
> documentation -- is inconsistent about this.About 50% follows Tony's
> definition of source and target, and another 50% uses the opposite
> construction.
>
> Personally, it make sense to me that "source" contains the actual
> content -- the content that gets pulled or pushed into else where (the
> "target"), but I'd really like to know if this contradicts some formal
> definition of source and target ....

If you think of conref as a link (which I do), then source is the anchor
that does the addressing and target is the thing addressed.

However, I can see the logic in thinking about conref the other way around.

But the spec should definitely be consistent.

I discount my opinion on this matter because I'm too deeply versed in the
arcana of linking and addressing. I would support whatever option people
think is more intuitive or easier to talk about clearly.

----
Eliot Kimber | Senior Solutions Architect | Really Strategies, Inc.
email:  ekimber@reallysi.com <mailto:ekimber@reallysi.com>
office: 610.631.6770 | cell: 512.554.9368
2570 Boulevard of the Generals | Suite 213 | Audubon, PA 19403
www.reallysi.com <http://www.reallysi.com>  | http://blog.reallysi.com
<http://blog.reallysi.com> | www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>