Subject: RE: DITA for the Web: Meeting invite for Wed Oct 21...changes

You’ll need to hear from Don, but it isn’t likely that the TC will be able to vote on something that it hasn’t had a chance to read in advance. So you might introduce and discuss the charter tomorrow and the TC could vote on it the following week.  Or posting something to the TC list (dita@lists.oasis-open.org) now might give you the option of having the vote tomorrow.

   -Jeff

From: Mark Lewis [mailto:mlewis@QUARK.com]
Sent: Monday, October 19, 2009 5:59 PM
To: Ogden, Jeff; Grosso, Paul; Don R. Day; Mary McRae
Cc: john_hunt@us.ibm.com

Jeff,

Here is a copy.

I have not posted it to any Oasis page. I believe I may have got my wires crossed in regards to having this posted "before" we the TC meeting. I believe that John has asked Don about the proposal being on the agenda.

Mark

=====================================
Dear DITA TC members,

For the past several months, Mark Lewis (Quark) and John Hunt (IBM) have been exploring interest and gathering interested parties on the topic of "DITA for the Web."

We'd like to update the TC on the status of these activities, and bring forward a proposal to form a "DITA for the Web" sub-committee.  The draft charter below outlines the initial goals and deliverables for this effort.

We have held three "forming" meetings in August and September, and drawn considerable interest, including attracting several new OASIS memberships and several more potential OASIS memberships if the sub-committee activity goes forward.

As an indication of interest level, attendance has been from six to twelve people, including nine current OASIS members, over the course of the three meetings that we have held. An additional ten individuals have expressed interest in participating in future meetings.

Draft Charter

Goals:
1.  Provide a public forum for discussion about the management and delivery of DITA content on the Web and how DITA relates to other web technologies.

2.  Recommend strategies and guidelines to the OASIS DITA Technical Committee that promote best practices for applying DITA approaches to Web content.

3. Coordinate with both the DITA Adoption TC and other subcommittees of the DITA TC who share similar interests. For example, coordinate with the DITA Help subcommittee related to using DITA to deliver help content on the web.

4.  There are many possible topics to consider. To help focus discussion, some examples of specific topics to address may include one or more of the following:
 a. use of DITA content structures, semantics, and architectures in web sites, wikis, blogs, feeds, and other web delivery contexts, either as native DITA or as XHTML
 b. use of DITA best practices that can drive search, metadata, linking, and navigation of web content
 c. use of DITA semantics that support an XHTML microformat representation of DITA content on the web
 d. use of application programming interfaces (APIs) to make available and enable the assembly and dynamic delivery of DITA content with web services

Deliverables:
1. Provide recommendations to the DITA TC for specification changes or additions to the DITA standard that enable better support for DITA content on the Web.

2. Specifications or white papers on one or more of the above topics related to DITA for the Web.

3. Recommendations to the DITA TC for coordination with other related standards, such as the OASIS Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) TC or Microformats.org.

4.  A white paper summary of recommendations and best practices guidelines for use of DITA content on the Web.

Areas of Exploration
In addition to the areas mentioned in the charter, meeting discussion has surfaced interest in the following additional areas related to DITA and web content deliver.

  • DITA and wikis
  • Company-generated content and community-generated content.
  • Making content findable and discoverable. How to use DITA to take advantage of web services such as REST.  Identifying DITA structures that provide the best support for delivering content with a web service.
  • How to write web-ready content.
  • DITA and HTML 5

Collaboration with other OASIS activities
We are in discussion with both the Help SC and DICE SC about crossover and sharing of efforts and resources.

What’s in it for members?
Participation in a "DITA for the Web" sub-committee brings several potential benefits, both for prospective members and the DITA TC.

Credit
As a member of this team you will receive credit for all subcommittee documents (white papers, specifications, recommendations) that you author or co-author. A list of all team members and roles will be maintained in a publicly visible location on the OASIS website.

Influence
You will be able to contribute and provide direct input to the standards committee on issues that you are passionate about.

Networking
Committees such as this offer an opportunity to network with the thought leaders of this industry. Rub elbows, learn and teach.

Level of Effort
We are designing this subcommittee to have a fixed life-span with discrete measurable goals. Unlike many volunteer projects that are black holes, the subcommittee tasks will be designed as short projects where team members can work on things that they are interested in and the grunt jobs are broken down into as small tasks as possible and distributed evenly. We hope to make this fun, fast, and as painless as possible.

Thanks for your attention and interest. We look forward to discussing further at the TC meeting on October 20.

John Hunt, IBM
Mark Lewis, Quark