Subject: Re: [dita] results from recent DITA 1.2 terminology discussions

On 11/18/09 4:56 AM, "Tony Self" <tself@hyperwrite.com> wrote:

> Colleagues
>

> First, thanks to all involved in preparing the terminology summary.
>

> Is there a definition for vocabulary module? It is first mentioned in the
> definition for extension element.

This is what I wrote in the 2nd review draft:

----
Vocabulary module

An atomic, uniquely-named unit of element type or attribute type
declaration. There are two types of vocabulary module: structural modules
and domain modules. For a given map type, topic type, or domain, there is
exactly one vocabulary module that defines it. An abstract module may be
implemented by any number of different constraint mechanisms (DTDs, XSDs,
etc.). However, for a given constraint mechanism, there should be at most
one authoritative declaration of the module.
----

Reading this now, I see that it's a little clumsy in that it uses the term
"abstract module", which is not defined and probably isn't clear to anyone
reading this definition.

What I was trying to get at it was that for a given vocabulary module there
is the abstract *idea* of the module (e.g., "a domain for programming
constructs") and that abstract module has a unique name ("pr-d"). For the
abstract module there can be at most one constraint-language-specific
implementation, e.g., pr-d-domain.mod, pr-d-domainMod.xsd, etc.

Not sure how to get that abstract/implementation idea across, either in the
terminology section or elsewhere, although I suppose I could put this
explanation in the Configuration and Extension section and not try to define
it formally.

Cheers,

Eliot
Senior Solutions Architect