Subject: RE: [dita] Foreign Generalization: Should be moved to a non-normative appendix

. . .

> Also, I was mistaken in my assertion that <foreign> can contain
> untagged
> text content--it can't (I had forgotten that ANY content models are
> still
> element only). So even if you have a data format that is not itself
> XML,
> you'd still have to define a new element type to hold it.

That's incorrect.  Quoting point 4 of the "element valid" VC in
XML (at http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#elementvalid):

The declaration matches ANY, and the content (after replacing any entity
references with their replacement text) consists of character data,
CDATA sections, comments, PIs  and child elements whose types have been
declared.

paul