Subject: Re: [dita] Terminology issues: Linking and addressing terms? Referencingand referenced element?

If we are defining terms, we need to follow conventions for glossaries. That means that a definition-list entry should be a definition. How about the following? And is including examples something that we want to do?

Bruce, I do agree that these two entities -- referencing element and referenced element -- always exist as a pair; neither can exist as an autonomous entity ...
referenced element
An element that is referenced by another DITA element. See also referencing element.
Example
The following code sample is from the installation-reuse.dita topic. The <step> element that it contains is a referenced element; other DITA topics can reference the <step> element by using the @conref attribute.
<step id="run-startcmd-script">
	<cmd>Run the startcmd script that is applicable to your operating-system environment.</cmd>
</step>
referencing element
          An element that references another DITA element by specifying an addressing element. See also referenced element and addressing attribute.
Example
The following <step> element is a referencing element. It uses the @conref attribute to reference a <step> element in the installation-reuse.dita topic.
<step conref="installation-reuse.dita#reuse/run-startcmd-script>
	<cmd/>
</step>
addressing attribute
An attribute, such as @conref, @conkeyref, @keyref, and @href, that can be used to specify an address.
Kris

Bruce Nevin (bnevin) wrote:
6D6F1AB5D0078540A309D4BACDCFA8E63EFAB1@XMB-RCD-104.cisco.com" type="cite">
Kris wrote:
My analysis of the problem is:
  • The two definitions are circular.
  • We are trying to cram way too much information into a definition
These two definitions are reciprocal because together they define a relationship. I don't find that dizzying, but that may be because (in linguistics) I'm used to thinking of relationships which are not easy to TalkAboutAllAtOnceInOneExpression so we talk about one aspect at a time. When I see a reciprocal definition I pop up a level to think about the relationship. But that doesn't make it good clear writing practice for every reader!

I agree with simplifying by putting the list of attributes elsewhere. I said that the addressing attributes "include" those listed as a hedge against incomplete recollection. Another tack would be to say "the most important of the addressing attributes are ...".

Jeff, I dropped @codebase from the list because it (optionally) supports the addressing attributes on <object>, but does not itself address a referenced element. But under the last proposal above we could drop the entire <object> set from the list.

I agree that we should not use "target" in any form. Nominal and verbal uses are also equivocal over the two points of view -- the target of the link vs. the target of the content. We know we're talking about a link addressing a "target" element but in some contexts readers think of content being reused at a "target" element's location. (I don't think it's an audience problem so much as a context problem. We have seen both senses in the spec. and the ref.)

Going back to the first point, suppose we start each definition by asserting the relationship explicitly. Maybe something like this:

Referencing element
Content reuse requires a relationship between a referencing element and a referenced element. An attribute on the referencing element is set to the address of the referenced element.
Example:
See referenced element; addressing attribute.

Referenced element
Content reuse requires a relationship between a referencing element and a referenced element. The address of the referenced element is specified in the value of an attribute on the referencing element.
Example:
See referencing element; addressing attribute.

I assume here that we omit the <object> attributes from the list.

We don't have to say everything in each single definition. Although DITA dogma says a glossary entry is a concept, definitions seldom stand alone. I simplified "addressing attribute" to "attribute" because "see addressing attribute" provides the necessary information if the reader wants it.

    /Bruce