Subject: RE: [dita] foreign element description issue (non-XML?)

See my suggested wording at the bottom of this email.

I suggest that as the resolution.

Note, no where does my wording suggest that the content of
the foreign element is restricted in such a fashion that
would prohibit rtf or troff or what have you.  On the other
hand, no where does it suggest that the content of the
foreign element no longer has to be well-formed xml which
is what the "non-XML" wording more than implies, that's
in fact what it says outright and which is wrong.

More below.

Your last sentence above either is tautological or makes no sense
depending on what you mean by "non-XML" which is the entire point
of this discussion.

> I think the intent here is to support the
> inclusion of such "code" in the DITA content.

Yes, agreed.

> Of course, this content is
> valid XML in the sense that whatever is contained in the <foreign>
> element is CDATA. Any special XML character (such as <) would
obviously
> be replaced by its Unicode character or text entity to prevent it from
> breaking the XML parser -- presumably such characters would be
> converted
> to their text character equivalents when generalized out into a
> separate
> file. I assume this is all obvious to the implementer, but wonder
> whether we should say something about it anyway to be on the safe
> side...

My fear is that nothing is "of course" or "obvious."

Furthermore, I claim that that XML spec makes it clear what XML
is and what, by extension, "non-XML" is, so the DITA spec cannot
redefine what "non-XML" means, and therefore we cannot use the
term "non-XML" in the DITA spec to describe the content of an
element in an XML document.

I suggested some replacement wording that I think is reasonable.
I'd be happy with other replacement wording--including some that
mentions, as examples, rtf or troff--as long as we don't use the
term "non-XML".

paul