Subject: RE: [dita] Normative language specification

Right, but is an application that uses the DTD and gives a validity
error for the document with zero foos a conforming DITA application?

Per your words, it is not.

So what should the implementor who is producing an out-of-the-box
DITA application supposed to include in its distribution?  The
broken DTD that will complain about the valid document or a
privately corrected version of the DTD that isn't what OASIS
is distributing?

I'm not that worried about the issue, but that, I think, is Bruce's
point.

paul